Discussion Board

Exclamation Error: Cannot parse size tool output - improper format / Unable to load ...

I had been, as usual, doing the normal edit-compile-debug cycle for don't-know-how-many-hours and all of a sudden CW (3.0 Pro for Symbian) started reporting the following compilation errors:

Code:
    Error   : Compile failed
    Error   : Cannot parse size tool output - improper format.
    Error   : Unable to load code and data size
    (times N)
    Now, can somebody please tell me, what the [your-ad-here] is this?

"abld reallyclean" w/ ide restart seem to "fix" this, but I would like know what is the reason for those errors anyway, because I don't always want to "start from scratch" (especially annoying when working with big project with lots of dependencies)

Thanks.

--timo

Nokia Developer Expert

Re: Error: Cannot parse size tool output - improper format / Unable to load ...

The size tool is called on objects/libs to report the code/data size in those project columns. Each tool chain calls some mechanism to get the code and data size for each object in your project and parses the output so it can show it in the project GUI. Possibly your tool changed or the size tool call didn't recognize an object. You should log your command-lines and see what the size tool call is and see what changes when it goes from working to your error. You could probably removed the size tool call if you edit the .cwcomp file in the bin/plugins/support...... folder if it continues to annoy you.

Cheers,
    Tim

Thanks for the tip! Found those size tool definitions (and commented them out) from .cwcomp-files in directory Bin\Plugins\Support\CompilerDescriptors\Symbian.

Is there some easy way to make CW show what commands it executes during build? I quickly looked from CW help & and thru ide settings, but couldn't find anything.

BR,

--timo

Nokia Developer Expert

There's an option in one of the target prefs to display generated command-lines (Symbian Common or Symbian Target depending on which linker is set).