Discussion Board

Symbian S80 Development Newbie Questions

Hello All,

I have recently obtained the S80 SDK. I have several questions.

1) For installation on WinXP, why does the SDK require SP2?

2) If the native language of the Symbian OS is C++ as several of the documents state, why is there such a heavy reliance on Java?

3) Why are some tools require Java?

4) Why is PERL required for the build process?

5) The application framework is similiar to Microsofts MFC (Microsoft Foundation Classes). I want to work at a lower level than what the application framework appears to allow. How does one go about writing and compiling code at a lower level; something like using Win32 for WinX applications?

6) How much will I be limited by not dealing with the Java aspects of S80 development?

7) Since the SDK appears to require WinXP/Win2K, why is PERL used at all as part of the build process?

Essentially, I want to use the application framework when doing so is best for whatever application I write. I also want to be able to access the Symbian OS at a lower level when I need to. I want to do it with C/C++.

Thanx In Advance and Merry Christmas (or whatever is appropriate) and Happy New Year (or whatever is appropriate).

-V-

Nokia Developer Champion

Re: Symbian S80 Development Newbie Questions

1) I don't know. Maybe the SDK was tested/developed/verified only on SP2? Maybe it needs/depends on some bugfixes in SP2?

2) The native language is, indeed, C++. There is no reliance on Java in the OS itself, even if all Symbian devices also support Java. The tools developers have relied on Java for developing many of the development tools, though, but such decisions are also indepdendent of the OS.

3) Because someone decided years ago that it would be a good idea (for whatever reason) to write the tool(s) in Java. To my experience, there are exactly two reasons why a developer chooses to use any programming language, if they have the luxury/option for doing so (choosing):
    - 1: They already know the language and don't want to learn a new one this time around
    - 2: They don't know the language and want to learn it this time around

4) See previous answer.

5) The published APIs are documented in the SDK. For more details, lower level stuff, your company must first become a Symbian Platinum partner and then license the OS source code (the Symbian DevKit).

6) You have the most/widest options available for you by developing in C++ (Java is much more limited).

7) See my answer to #4 (and #3) above.

Hello Petrib,

Thanx for the responses.

You've eased my concerns regarding the platform. After I create a basic app using the framework and briefly explore creating apps without relying on the application framework, I should be able to make a business case for continued development / exploration.

I essentially need to be able to show that money can be made with a minimum amount of retooling.

I see that application IDs are controlled by Symbian/Nokia. Has anyone applied for one? What is this process like?

-V-

Nokia Developer Champion