I have recently obtained the S80 SDK. I have several questions.
1) For installation on WinXP, why does the SDK require SP2?
2) If the native language of the Symbian OS is C++ as several of the documents state, why is there such a heavy reliance on Java?
3) Why are some tools require Java?
4) Why is PERL required for the build process?
5) The application framework is similiar to Microsofts MFC (Microsoft Foundation Classes). I want to work at a lower level than what the application framework appears to allow. How does one go about writing and compiling code at a lower level; something like using Win32 for WinX applications?
6) How much will I be limited by not dealing with the Java aspects of S80 development?
7) Since the SDK appears to require WinXP/Win2K, why is PERL used at all as part of the build process?
Essentially, I want to use the application framework when doing so is best for whatever application I write. I also want to be able to access the Symbian OS at a lower level when I need to. I want to do it with C/C++.
Thanx In Advance and Merry Christmas (or whatever is appropriate) and Happy New Year (or whatever is appropriate).