Discussion Board

how to retrieve mac address of wlan interface

Hello,

Is there any way to retrieve the mac or phycial address of wlan interface programmatically? I tried several ways and I could get something like 0100000001000000000eedc14bc5 where the actualy address is 000eedc14bc5. Does anybody know how to get mac address or what does those extra 0s and 1s means?

Re: how to retrieve mac address of wlan interface

Hi,
    How did you get this number ??

I wish I could help! Since that time I am completely detached with Symbian stuff. To get your answer I have to dig some of my old backup disk (whihc is not possible right now). Well, all I remember is that there was a common solution to get BT mac addr. I modified that solution a bit and was able to got that number. As a mater of fact I never got the correct solution. That's why I made my solution with BT mac and forgot it completely.
    Do it now! Today will be yesterday tomorrow - MadSum

ok Madsum.
    thanks anyway.
    If just sth come into your mind let me know
    every clue how to find the solution is warmly welcomed

right now I have found that (while reading in_sock.h)
    there is a member:
    TSockAddr iHwAddr;
    And I hope that maybe it would return the hardware address of the socket endpoint. Maybe your solution was similar ?

Kind Regards
    Tomek

Lightbulb Re: how to retrieve mac address of wlan interface

Hi I’m sort of new to this forum but I think your looking for the MAC of the phone your using. If you wish to retrieve the MAC address enter *#62209526# and this will give you the MAC address, also I would like to add type into your keypad *#2820# and this will reveal the Bluetooth ID, this is handy for manually adding bluetooth devices, but please note on my phone there is no semi colon (or colon if your computer programming orientated) I.e. : the Bluetooth ID- will look like this 00124d5a524c and not 00:12:4d:5a:52:4c. This of course worth noting when entering the details manually. Hope it helps, if not I’m obviously barking up the wrong tree.: confused:

Nokia Developer Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by CodfishCatfish View Post
    Hi I’m sort of new to this forum but I think your looking for the MAC of the phone your using. If you wish to retrieve the MAC address enter *#62209526# and this will give you the MAC address, also I would like to add type into your keypad *#2820# and this will reveal the Bluetooth ID, this is handy for manually adding bluetooth devices, but please note on my phone there is no semi colon (or colon if your computer programming orientated) I.e. : the Bluetooth ID- will look like this 00124d5a524c and not 00:12:4d:5a:52:4c. This of course worth noting when entering the details manually. Hope it helps, if not I’m obviously barking up the wrong tree.: confused:
    Well, you are a bit over a year late with your answer but otherwise you are right . A solution for retrieving the MAC address programmatically is available in Forum Nokia's technical library.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Regular Contributor

SDK API plugin contains the needed WLAN APIs for this:
    http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.php/SDK_API_Plugin

These are briefly discussed in a presentation "Developing 3rd party VoIP clients on S60 platform" available at http://www.forum.nokia.com/main/reso...velopment.html

Cheers,
    Jack

Great. I manageds to retrieve my N8 WLAN Mac address using the shortcut key and it works.

Thanks CodfishCatfish