Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Unhappy platformRequest and signed applications

Hi all, and happy new year

I read in a forum that the platformRequest method needs some permissions in the jad/manifest "MIDlet-permissions" attribute, so that the platformRequest could properly work on signed applications. And the permission names may be differ from a phone to another one.
    I don't know about Nokia phones, but for ex, on sony ericsson it is "javax.microedition.midlet.PlatformRequest.url"; on siemens "javax.microedition.midlet.PlatformRequest"; motorola iden "javax.microedition.midlet.MIDlet.platformRequest.HTTP,javax.microedition.midlet.MIDlet.platformRequest.MIDLET,javax.microedition.midlet.MIDlet.platformRequest.HTTPS"

So I would need some information from people who had an experience with this problem...
    For a given signed application, is the platformRequest permission mandatory, or can I neglect it? Will a phone be able to download an application, with mispelled or non-recognized permission names? Do we have to build and sign different applications for all the mobile brands? :/
    Well at worse, if you know the platformRequest permission names of other phones, you will be welcome -_-;

Thanks

Re: platformRequest and signed applications

I'd like an answer to this question too. I've been testing on some tmobile nokias, and this is what I get:

requesting javax.microedition.midlet.PlatformRequest.url permission gave connectionNotFoundException: Platform Request not allowed

requesting javax.microedition.midlet.PlatformRequest permission gave connectionNotFoundException: Platform Request not allowed

I haven't tried the other permissions, because they seem less likely to work.

Is there a preferred permission for http platformrequests? Does the app behave differently if signed?

-joe
    Last edited by jhogue; 2007-06-27 at 22:15.

Nokia Developer Champion

jhogue,

Are you talking about T-Mobile U.S.?
    If yes, then you cannot get this working on those phones. See here for details
    http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph...curity_domains
    and
    http://blogs.forum.nokia.com/view_entry.html?id=379

Hartti

Yes, this is on TMobile US.

Should platformRequest work if we are signed as partner?

I realize this may be better to ask in a TMobile dev forum, but I haven't found a good one to post in.

-joe

Nokia Developer Champion

As trusted 3rd party domain does not exist on T-Mobile U.S. devices, you need to get the signature from T-Mobile U.S. (Semi-Trusted partner)

There is no developer site from T-Mobile U.S. as far as I know.

unfortunately I do not good contacts to provide to you for this. But keep in mind that you have to work for a company to get the negotiations even started.

Hartti