Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Unhappy sending of jar file from webserver to mobile phone?

hi guys,

I am presently working on an application that requires me to send a midlet jar file from my webserver to the clients mobile phone on request for it by the client(who will request for it by SMS).as i want it to be sent to the clients phone like an SMS mesage but this time it will be the jar file so once the client opens the message it starts installing.
    now the problem is i dont know if there are any API classes that can help me in achieving this?

any expert suggestions/help?

Thanks in advance.

Nokia Developer Champion

Re: sending of jar file from webserver to mobile phone?

The Nokia Smart Messaging Specification (you should be able to get it from http://forum.nokia.com/ pages) will explain how to construct messages that send software installation links.

However, before you can send such messages from your server, you need to have an agreement in place with local operators to send such messages through their SMSC.

However, if all you want to do is to provide a download link from your web server, then all you need to do is to make sure you've configured your web server to send the correct MIME types (headers) for .jar and .jad files:

application/java
    application/java-archive
    application/x-java-archive
    text/vnd.sun.j2me.app-descriptor

Regular Contributor

thanks petrib,

I dont intend to send messages containing installation links, i want to send the appication to the client directly.
    This falls under MMS right? so

Nokia Developer Champion

If you want to send it as an MMS from your server, then you need to negotiate a contract with the local operator(s) to connect to their MMSC, too.

Regular Contributor

Thanks petrib man,
    that is no problem. the problem now is what api in java can i use to achive this?
    can u help with suggestions?

hi guys,

I am presently working on an application that requires me to send a midlet jar file from my webserver to the clients mobile phone on request for it by the client(who will request for it by SMS).as i want it to be sent to the clients phone like an SMS mesage but this time it will be the jar file so once the client opens the message it starts installing.
    now the problem is i dont know if there are any API classes that can help me in achieving this?

any expert suggestions/help?

Thanks in advance.

Regular Contributor

SHARE_DEEN am confused by ur reply?

Hi guys,

Please give me the information about:

Can we send a j2me application through sms to a mobile phone. Plz give the solution if any one knows?

Nokia Developer Champion

No, you can't really send the whole app as SMS, but you can send a download link.

You can send a more "sophisticated" download link, too, but for that you have to find and investigate the Nokia Smart Messaging Specification.

Technically, you actually could send the whole app as (multiple) SMS, but then you would first have to develop and install a program on the receiving phone to receive and process such SMS messages. Sending the whole application as SMS this way would also be relatively expensive for the sender, so it doesn't really make much sense as there are easier and more economical/practical ways to do it.

Hai petrib,

Thanks for ur reply, anyway please try the solution for the task which i expect. I expect a good solution. If we can't do means we will try for another way which u said in the earlier mail.

Regards
    Deen

hi

does anyone know whether SocketConnection is supported by the nokia 2650??

Subject : jar file thru sms to mobile phone???

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Can we send a j2me application (jad or jar file) through Push message (sms) to a mobile phone like ringtones, alerts, etc.,?.

Can we send a j2me application (jad or jar file) through WAP Push message (sms) to a mobile phone like ringtones, alerts, etc.,?.

Please clarity my doubts.

hello
    as you were searching for a way to send a jar file to mobile through SMS or MMS ,did you find a way?
    if so would you help me here ,as i want to send a jar file to mobile using SMS, would you tell me the solution you found?
    thanks

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by share_deen
    Subject : jar file thru sms to mobile phone???

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Can we send a j2me application (jad or jar file) through Push message (sms) to a mobile phone like ringtones, alerts, etc.,?.

Can we send a j2me application (jad or jar file) through WAP Push message (sms) to a mobile phone like ringtones, alerts, etc.,?.

Please clarity my doubts.
    Hi Share_deen,
    I finally got it to work. it took me this long because i was working on someother projects. To do it, you need an sms/mms client-gateway software, a webserver and a gprs enabled phone. The sms/mms client software will be used to push the application to the clients mobile phone. The webserver acts the place where you will store the jad & jar files. Note: the webserver MIME types have to be very well configured to be able to serve files oftype "jad" & "jar" so make sure u check that out.
    Once it is properly setup, specify the path to the "jad" in the sms/mms client as your WAP-push URL when submitting your parameters to the sms/mms client and it will work just well.

hope i helped :-)