Discussion Board

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question How to display HTML from within my J2ME/MIDP MIDlet?

Hi,

I am developing a MIDlet for a Nokia 3220 (series 40).

I want it to be able to parse and display a String filled with HTML downloaded from our webserver.
    How can I do that?

I don't want to start up a separate browser, just want to do it from within my MIDlet.
    Some kind of browser library / component (or how is it called in Java) to be incorperated in my MIDlet would probably also be okay.

I have tried ReqwirelessWeb but after a long struggle it turned out that it it 'secretly' uses some Reqwireless webserver to prepare the HTML, and since they seem to have gone down...

I also tried WebViewer from Javio. Looked okay, also meant for small PDA's. But turned out to depend on Swing, which is not available on J2ME...

Regards,

Ruud

Super Contributor

Re: How to display HTML from within my J2ME/MIDP MIDlet?

I don't have or know of any HTML rendering libraries for J2ME that you could use in your own program, but ReqWireless was recently acquired by Google.

I am looking at MobiBrowser now... comes with sources... anybody experience with this?

Regards,

Ruud

I want to do exactly the same (display HTML in midlet).

Here's how my investigation has got so far...

Reqwireless - got nowhere as no longer available.

picobrowser - available on sourceforge. Seems ok, but html rendering not as expected. Still looking at this one.

wakapa (midlet) - by Digitalairways (http://www.digitalairways.com) which looked ideal and just the product I need but got nowhere as they don't reply to any of my queries.

Did you manage to get any further, find any other products?

How are you doing with microbrowser? I've just started to look at this and my initial impression was it seems to access Swing libraries (not available in J2ME) although I maybe wrong.

Hi,
    Any luck with your investigations? I am also looking something similiar. If you had made any progress please do let me know. Would be appreciated.

thx . sen

No got much further to be honest. Feel as if there's some sort of conspiracy going on...

To be honest I'm new to Java and don't really want to spend my time coding a HTML parser/renderer. I just want to code my midlet and use someone elses libraries. Why oh why does this not seem possible as it sound's pretty basic to me and everywhere I look I hit a dead-end.

Reqwireless - take-over out by Google (no longer available)
    4thPass - take-over by Motorola (no longer available)
    Wapaka - no replies.

Picobrowser seem the best I've found but as it's an unfinished project from Sourceforge it doesn't render as expected and I don't really have the time to
    update the code. Give it a try as it may give you enough for what you want.

Reqwireless - managed to get hold of an early copy and haven't really looked into as yet but there didn't seem much api's for local rendering. If you don't know, Reqwireless uses a 3 tier config where there's a middle tier Server on the Internet running a Servlet which rerenders webpages for the midlet to display. The middle tier servers don't seem to be available anymore so any code just hangs and nothing gets displayed. I have seen some posts saying local rendering is available but not managed to work it out as yet.

Wapaka - looks ideal as everthing available but again sent many posts to Digital Airways who just ignore me. Think they're more interested in larger customers.

Microbrowser - Seems to have been initally written for Palm and Sun WTK v1.x. It compiles with errors on WTK v2 but doesn't run. Working (slowly) through the code trying to get it running but not getting very far.

kbrowser & libriaries by 4thPass - No longer availabe. Found lots of posts, articles says Sun were to release "free" HTML parser/rendering libraries licensed from 4thPass but they never seemed to have been released (typical)

There's also CellHTML available at http://www.jshape.com but the author wants $250 for the sourcecode and I don't know how well it renders so not gone down that avenue.

Do you have any further info?

see javax.microedition.midlet.MIDlet.platformRequest()

Check out http://www.j2mehtml.com

-JPan

the following links are only the products, not J2me codes, but I also need parsing a html page in my application not using a seperate browser or anything else except my application. platformRequest(); is also using the web browser not working in the application.

Anyone knows that the libraries or APIs does this work ?
    thanks

Interesting...

I'd not seen the "PocketLearn J2ME HTML Component" before (http://www.j2mehtml.com) but it looks promising. I loaded up on my phone and it didn't look too bad but it didn't seem to like HTML forms although graphics (gifs & jpegs) are rendered ok. It has a large footprint (90kb) though (probably cause of the amount of tags it supports) with is too big for my requirements.

Anyhow, I persisted with picobrowser and am still working (slowly) through the code. I've got it to render HTML quite well and am working through the code to see if I can add better support for each tag. This is a very slow process though and I'm doing in beteween everything else.

Graphics (gifs & jpegs) are not supported though unless the device supports them natively in MIDP. For instance the WTKv2.x emulator displays a page with graphics fine but on some devices these are not displayed unless they are png format.

I've started to look at GIF & JPeg decoder libraries which I thought would be easily available but this has turned out to be almost as big a mountain to climb as a HTML renderer.

What was a mini hobby/project has now spiralled out of control and seems to be taking over my life.

Don't think I'll ever finish it to be honest.

hi,
    i have downloaded the picomidp files from the sourceforge site. however when i try to unzip them, the unzipped files don't have file extensions (i.e., picomidp-1.2 and picomidp). so is there something i forgot to do?

thanks,

lee

does anyone find a open source project for this issue by now. I found a small project Mobibrowser seems ok, but it does not support image.

Hi all,

I was checking for some requirement and came up with your question. I think this link will help you to display html pages in J2ME midlet.

http://my.opera.com/community/forums....dml?id=169638

This thread has information as to download the Opera mini emulator for generic device and use it as mobile browser in J2ME.

Regards,
    Coolguy

Did anyone finally get through this issue??

Super Contributor

Find or develop your own HTML/CSS/JavaScript parser/renderer. As far as I know, no complete and free J2ME based HTML parsers/renderers are available.