Discussion Board

6620 firmware updated, now PC Suite does not work -- help!

I recently sent my 6620 to Nokia for repair. (nonstop vibrating ringer, occasionally powered down). Nokia flashed my firmware from 2.14? to 3.14.1 and once I rec'd the phone back I can no longer install applications, or push any content to the phone using PC Suite (or anything else for that matter).

When using the existing PC Suite software that was on my machine (6.41) I could not install anything on the "repaired" phone, however, I was still able to sync with my PC and view the phone's contents (phone had a unique name - JW). After trying to upgrade to PC Suite 66 and 67, I got even worse results. Not only could I no longer sync, but I could not view the contents of my phone. I've tried installing various versions of PC Suite and it seems that anything later than 6.41 will view my phone as Nokia 6620, not JW. I've tried the registry cleaner 2.1 and 3.1. Both do not completely clean out the registry because each time I downgrade PC Suite to 6.41 it identifies my phone as JW. However, when installing PC Suite 67 on a brand new machine which has never had any Nokia software, everything works like a champ. At this stage Nokia support has been completely useless. I've asked which registry settings are being orphaned and why PC Suite still recognizes my phone as JW with 6.41 and 6620 USB with 66 and 67. Nokia refuses to provide this information.

Can anyone help me identify what registry setting or files on my machine is causing this problem? Right now, my phone is more or less useless since I cannot install necessary applications onto the phone.

thx

Super Contributor

Re: 6620 firmware updated, now PC Suite does not work -- help!

There's a new Nokia PC Suite cleaner 3.2 on http://www.nokia.com/pcsuite

Perhaps it can clear out all junk properly.

Quote Originally Posted by petrib
    There's a new Nokia PC Suite cleaner 3.2 on http://www.nokia.com/pcsuite

Perhaps it can clear out all junk properly.
    Been there, done that without any results. Did find a proggy called Registry Cleaner which seems to have alleviated the problem of the phone being named "JW" however, the phone still will not synch nor can you view the contents of the phone with any PC Suite software later than v. 6.41.

Last night I dumped a few SIS apps to the MMC through a card reader. At least I was able to get some apps installed. Kludgy at best!

I escalated an issue to have a listing of all registry settings, files, and services dependant on PC Suite. Nokia support told me it was proprietary and I'm SOL. Overall, extremely pitiful customer support from Nokia. They actually suggested that I look here for help.

Super Contributor

OK; you only said you tried the 2.1 and 3.1 registry cleaners in your original post, not the new 3.2: http://europe.nokia.com/nokia/0,,84592,00.html

Quote Originally Posted by petrib
    OK; you only said you tried the 2.1 and 3.1 registry cleaners in your original post, not the new 3.2: http://europe.nokia.com/nokia/0,,84592,00.html
    My bad. I actually found that version of the registry cleaner after my post and searching through endless threads.

Nokia support (USA) wasn't aware of this new 3.2 version.