Discussion Board

Location Based Services

Hi ,

On http://www.forum.nokia.com/main/0,6566,1_23,00.html , we have been told that phones like 6680 , Nokia N70 etc support Location Acquisition API by using the Bluetooth GPS (external) technology and phones for example Nokia 3250 , Nokia 7710 etc can use the Location API by using Network-based positioning technology.
    I understand that Bluetooth GPS (external) technology would involve an external Bluetooth GPS Receiver.What I would like to know is what does using Network-based positioning technology mean ? . Will I need to purchase any external piece of hardware if i am interested in using the Location Acquisition API through Network-based positioning technology ?.

Thanks

Super Contributor

Re: Location Based Services

You need a network operator that supports such a service on their network. Most don't.

Regular Contributor

Hello Petrib and others,

is there a list of network operators which support network based positioning anywhere available.

I guess there should be some since Nokia wouldn't implement such a feature if it wouldn't be available anywhere?

Thanks in advance
    Bjoern

Question Re: Location Based Services

On a slighlty different note, I have georeferenced our location map usingESRI software and coverted it to a SVG format.
    If I need to display the map on my N82 mobile (GPS enabled) and enable navigation do I need to convert the georeferenced map to Nokia map format. If so how do I do it?

I wouod be very grateful for guidance on this

jayasurya

Super Contributor

The Nokia Maps file formats have to my knowledge not been published, nor are any tools to convert map data from other tools to that format available.

So, you may need to write your own viewer application to show the maps, or somehow manage to obtain the necessary information from Nokia. Maybe the moderators can help in how that might be possible (at least to find out if it is possible)?

Thanks a lot Petrib.
    It would be of great help if the moderatorxs can sugggest how to convert a SVG or other formnat customized map to Nokia Maps format

Thanks
    jayasurya

Dear all,

Is it possible to start the Nokia mapps application from within your widget, and specifying a certain location.

Thanks,
    Michael