Discussion Board

Question Couldn't get Example3d running

I'am using Microsoft Visual Studio Version 7.1.3088, nS60_sdk_v1_2, ActivePerl 5.8.7.815 and Carbide 2.0.

I have imported example3d with "import symbian projekt" and added a __S60__ to the preprocessor panel to get it compiled for Series 60.

Compiling works without problems. But when I try to start the WINS Emulation Applikation selecting EX3D from the Emulator, the only thing I've got is a Requester with "Example3D: System Error"

The same happens if I compile the ARMI Configuration and transfer the resulting Example3d.sis to the phone (Nokia 3650).

But the Example3D.sis File from the Install Folder works without problems.

Very interesting is the fact that Example3D.sis(34 KB) from the Install Folder is larger than the compiled Example3D.sis (20 KB).

Anybody else here with this problem?

Super Contributor

Re: Couldn't get Example3d running

Hi,

The reason for why the application does not run on the emulator seems fairly clear. I suspect that you have not copied the files defined by the bld.inf "EXPORT" to their target locations in the SDK(s) that you are using. Carbide.vs does not support the EXPORT statement in the bld.inf file so files defined there must be manually copied. Look at the bld.inf file and copy the files in the project data directory as specified in the EXPORT. You need to copy once for each SDK that you want to use.

I don't understand you question on the sis file size?

Great :)

Thank you, this has solved the problem with the Emulator Configuration. It is working now.

I think the same problem happens with my compiled .sis file. The data file must be included somewhere into the .sis file. Because there are exactly 15 KB missing in comparison to the .sis File delivered with the example from the Install60 Folder.

How should I tell VSC to include this files?

Super Contributor

OK, now I see, your .sis file is too small. You are probably right in that you miss the jpg/gif files. Your .pkg file should contain something like:

"..\data\picture.jpg"-"!:\system\apps\Example3D\picture.jpg"
    "..\data\picture2.jpg"-"!:\system\apps\Example3D\picture2.jpg"
    "..\data\font.gif"-"!:\system\apps\Example3D\font.gif"

to include them. The package files that came with the sample include these, and if you imported using Carbide.vs you should have had one of those .pkg files set up as the default .pkg file. If you have created your own .pkg file, then the jpg/gif files will not be automatically added to the .pkg file, you need to add those lines manually.

Smile Re: Couldn't get Example3d running

Thanks.

I found this out a few hours before.

I added the missing lines. At least it was possible to build the correct .sis File by calling "makesis.exe example3d.pkg" on the commandprompt inside the sis folder.

To get it in Visual Studio Work it was necessary using absolute paths, otherweise he does'nt found the correct folder.

I found it a bit strange addings this lines by hand.

Maybe there is a possibility to add Resources inside Visual Studio and get them automatically added to the pkg File.

But at least it works this way.

Thanks anyway.