Discussion Board

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Has anyone tried calling a PC ?

Has anyone tried making a voice and/or video call to a machine on the internet from a mobile phone using SIP or any other call protocol? Using a real phone or the emulator?

Camako

Re: Has anyone tried calling a PC ?

I haven't Camako but I'm trying to!!

You also looking to do it? You have any success??

According to http://europe.nokia.com/nokia/0,,72411,00.html#3 , it can be done

3. Can video sharing work using a PC?
    It is possible. The evolution of packet-switched video services allows convergence with the PC domain, which will greatly increase the number of available end points. It is possible to introduce PC clients enabling video sharing from a mobile phone to a PC.
    Although that doesn't really help us

I want to know: how can we do it? What do we need?

Is there maybe we contact at Nokia about this?

Yes Nic, I'm trying to. Technically, you should be able to call any SIP client no matter where the client resides, since 3G is also using SIP. But, of course, there needs to be a gateway somewhere to cross over from mobile world to the net.

I'll keep trying I guess....

I did, I can call X-Lite from my Series 60 phone.

Quote Originally Posted by rami75lu
    I did, I can call X-Lite from my Series 60 phone.
    Did you use N80 and WiFi?

No I used N70

Quote Originally Posted by rami75lu
    No I used N70
    Is there a SIP client application on N70 which you brought up and directed to call a SIP address? Did you get audio or video working in that call?

Reading up in user guide, it looks like SIP calls are used to add shared video to exitsing voice call. I am looking for a more direct way of making a SIP call without voice call.

Any details would be greatly appreciated. I do not have the phone myself and need to gather data before making a decision what to buy.

Thanks a lot.

Also, did you use a real N70 or a simulator?

Hi rami75lu

Which SIP softphone client did you use to call x-lite? or you made a SIP softphone by yourself?

Hi rami75lu

Great news man. Seems you are the only one who has got this going...

Was it on an Emulator or on an actual phone?

SIP client did you develop one or was it a third-party one?

If developed, was it with J2ME or C++?

You mentioned the SIP client can connect to a X-Lite phone (on a PC I presume), did you get the Audio part going as well?

Was the connection over GPRS? Wifi? or UMTS?

Thanks!

Ravin

Regular Contributor

Cool Re: Has anyone tried calling a PC ?

Although SIP apps were given as demo on 6630 phones last year, from experience I would suggest using 6680 phones and later versions. You would be able to call from phone to PC using SIP as long as you are able to configure your SIP server to support the SIP API that is available to Symbian C++. SIP API is also available for J2ME but I am not familiar which phones have the J2ME SIP API installed. All I know is that Symbian C++ SIP API was already available on 6680 when the J2ME equivalent was still not yet available at that time.

To be able to make PC <===> phone data calls, my suggestion is to do the ff:
    1. Learn the Symbian C++ SIP API

2. Install SIP settings to your series60 phone
    - The sip settings is only a user interface to a sipserver.exe already running on your phone. You should be able to create and configure a SIP Profile which will be used by your app. A sis file should be downloadable somewhere in the forum nokia websites.

3. Make sure your SIP Server supports the SIP headers that are created by #1
    - else you would get 500 Internal server error or any of the 4xx error codes from the SIP server

4. Create a PC client that does SIP

5. Tests to ensure that SIP INVITEs reach each of the clients

Aside from above, any of you guys can hire me as a consultant for #s 1, 2 and 4. I have not had experience configuring a SIP server on the network side yet because Nokia people did that for me when they setup an IMS (that has a SIP server) for a telco here in the Philippines. Although I am learning the network side now with my current employer so later on I might be able to do everything from creating SIP clients to configuring networks to support this voice or videocall functionality.

We've just got an E61. We actually bought it to evaluate the BlackBerry side of it... but I digress.

SIP call servers and softphones are what our company does so we were interested to see that the E61 came with SIP settings and 802.11b/g capability so we gave it a shot.

We've managed to call various SIP devices, hardware and software based, internally and over a wide area link so the answer is yes, you can call a PC.

I notice however that a vital feature exists on the E61 that is missing from the N80. This feature is Internet Telephony. I'm wondering why this is missing from the N80 and whether it is available as a seperate download from anywhere.

Post Re: Has anyone tried calling a PC ?

Quote Originally Posted by Stickman

SIP call servers and softphones are what our company does so we were interested to see that the E61 came with SIP settings and 802.11b/g capability so we gave it a shot.

Stickman,

Which call server did you test with?

Also did you find the Internet Telephony feature in the N80?

Cheers,
    Jay

Which call server did you test with?
    The call server we used was written in house by a couple of our developers so it's highly unlikely you would have heard of it.

Also did you find the Internet Telephony feature in the N80?
    I've not found the answer to the question of whether Nokia do an Internet Telephony 'bolt on' for the N80. Having wireless turned on caned my battery so I just kind of gave up in the end.
    I do find it daft that they've included a SIP set up and no Internet Telephony function when they've put it in the E61 so it has obviously been written.

Matt

Super Contributor

As you know, E61 has the Voice of IP (VoIP) functionality built in. Providing the right configuration, this phone can make Internet calls. I have successfully configured the SIP settings for my E61, and VoIP works on the device.

My question is: is there any API at all (public / privileged) that allows me to interact and control the VoIP to make an Internet call? For regular voice calls, I can use CTelephony provided by the SDK to dial a number, put conversation on hold, etc. However, there are no references to Internet Call from the Symbian S60 3rd SDK. I'd like to ask the experts there: Is there any Nokia proprietary API that allows me to dial a SIP address or pickup an incoming Internet call?

By the way, there is this CTelephony::EstablishDataCall(), what exact is a 'data call'?

Cheers
    mayank