Discussion Board

Question Customizing Senders Name

Hi
    Is it possible to send sms with a customized sender's name that is instead of my mobile number some text is displayed to the reciever,If yes how?I am asking this question because i am getting these kind of sms but even after a massive search on internet i found nothing.So plz help me in this regard.

Thanks in advance

Super Contributor

Re: Customizing Senders Name

If you send an SMS via GPRS it should be possible. I have seen on a swedish web page an operator technician explaining how to do, but I don´t really remember since I´m not into programming so much myself.

Super Contributor

Trying to keep the explanation simple (more or less)...

What the operator's network puts down as the sender is decided on the operator's SMSC (Short Message Service Center) servers.

The SMS messaging apps or the message sending protocols do not have provisions to command or even express a wish for the SMSC to do something about it (the "sender" name or phone number is never even sent from the phone to the SMSC, when an SMS is being sent form the phone to the network for delivery).

The only way to accomplish this is via a special service/server that has an established way (kind of a "back channel", so to speak) of telling the operator's SMSC that when you send an SMS, use "this" (whatever "this" is) as the sender when you deliver it to the recipient.

All services that allow this sort of thing is depenendent on local agreements with local operators for sending SMS and doing this sort of thing.

There have been specialized messaging apps doing that on the phone, and instead of sending the message directly to the operator, it is first being sent to a separate service that then talks to the operator's SMSC.

Also, operator's will not allow any random device access their SMSC "back channel" (however it is implemented), but require a predefined contract/agreement, possibily a private/encrypted channel (private line server-to-server or otherwise a secure channel using, e.g., VPN).

Setting up and using such direct access is also costly (set-up fees, license fees, support fees, fees per message sent/delivered, etc.).

So, when anyone is getting this type of messages, they are not sent directly from the phone without extra cost or extra network based services tied to the sender's billing somehow.

Availability of such services or even option/possibility to set things up in the first place vary from country to country, operator to operator.

Thanks man !It means we need a direct access to the sms gateway.So is there any free sms gateway that i can use.And the main thing is that it should work in India as their are many restrictions of TRAI in India.One thing more apart from this gateway procedure can't we alter the sms using some kind of hexadecimal editor or using some assembly language technique as i am having a symbian based mobile in which i can even access the sms files.
    And once again thanks for ur reply.

Super Contributor

No, you can't use any hex editors or assembly language tricks on the phone, because the sender's number or name is not put on the message on the phone, but on the network after the operator's SMSC has received it, before it is delivered (or passed on to some other operator for delivery, if the recipient isn't on the same operator's network as the sender).

Thanks 4 all ur help.I think this topic should be closed now.