Discussion Board

Arrow Exit Command from Symbian OS

Hi Everybody,

Did anybody solve this issue with Nokia phones(6630,6680).
    While using these phones to run J2ME applications, there automatically comes an "Exit" command from the Symbian OS and on selection, it abruptly ends the application. Is there any way to control this "Exit" from J2ME application. Request you to share your ideas to solve this issue.
    Thanks in advance,

Sreeganesh S

Re: Exit Command from Symbian OS

Sreeganesh,

Did you ever find a way to control the exit command? I would like to ask the user if they want to exit before exiting, but I have not yet been able to find a way to respond to the user selecting this exit command.

Super Contributor

hi RearCog,

do you mean how to use custom command added via addCommand to diplayable or that default "Exit" command which is added on S60 platform on all editions until newer 3rd FP1 ?

regards,
    Peter

I mean the default Exit command added to on S60 phones. From what I have found so far it is not possible to change the behavior of this command to ask the user if they want to exit.

Super Contributor

hi,

it hope some more advanced visitors post input for that but I think its not possible (application manager just closes midlet without even calling destroyApp) on some s60 devices,
    there is a lot of confusion with that default command existance (and usage) so I think that's why Nokia (Symbian?) decided to remove that feature from latest feature packs,

now its following MIPD description of commands:
    An application may set up a screen that has no commands. This is allowed by the API but is generally not useful; if this occurs the user would have no means to move to another screen. Such program would simply considered to be in error. A typical device should provide a means for the user to direct the application manager to kill the erroneous application.
    regards,
    Peter