Discussion Board

File Transfer to 6230i (no OBEX)

Hello,

i am very new at bluetooth developing and just handled it to send and receive textmessages between my 6230i and the PC (via winsocks). Now i want to transfer a ~40 KB image file to the phone but the OBEX API is not compatible with the 6230i.
    Can anybodey tell me how to transfer files (or simply binary data) to my phone? Please let me know, even if you just have a keyword that might be interesting to that topic.

Thanks a lot,

creon

help me

hello! my name is alexandre and i'm a french student. please can you send me your program about the send and receive of textmessages? I want it because it would help me for my project. sorry if I have a very bad english but I'm a beginner .
    thank you very much

my E-mail address is: antioxygene@club-internet.fr

good bye

Post Re: File Transfer to 6230i (no OBEX)

u got some mail? If you know how to send binary data, please let me know

Re: File Transfer to 6230i (no OBEX)

sorry but how can you send me your program? I don't understand what is the problem... you cannot send me a zip file with all files or binary data? please

thank you Patrick. I think that your program will help me. I am just a biginner, so I don't really understand how create the jar file with your source but I will search. If it is easy you can explain me quickly...

well, finally i am only using the Nokia Developer Suite Plugin for the free IDE eclipse. With that combination you can easily create, deploy or emulate your midlets.

Nokia Developer Expert

Hello,

To transfer a binary file via Bluetooth to the 6230i, you just have to read the contents of the file in the PC application as an array of bytes, get an OutputStream out of the Bluetooth StreamConnection object and use it to write the byte array.

On the phone side, you'll only need to read that byte array and use it according to your needs. For example, for an image file, you can use of the Image.createImage methods that take an array of bytes as a parameter and display it using a Canvas.

Daniel

Hi,

yes, i tried this solution a week ago. I had no success, but i am sure to get it working with some time. The problem is, that the 208*156 Pixel image takes about 30 seconds to be transfered in an optimal distance to the dongle. The files size is too large to send it in that uncompressed way (and i don't want to create my own compression method because of that one image transfer ).
    There must be a possibility to transfer the saved PNG file to the phone. The Nokia PC Suite can do so (without OBEX) and i think it is also written by humans and is no miracle
    Well, if i won't find any other possibility i will get back to your idea, so thanks a lot. If you or anyone else has an idea, please let me know.

Have a nice weekend,

creon

Nokia Developer Expert

You can try the PC Suite Connectivity API, available at Forum Nokia website. It allows you to transfer files and send messages to your phone.

Daniel

Thumbs up Re: File Transfer to 6230i (no OBEX)

Thanks a lot, that is exactly what i was looking for.