Discussion Board

Question Help needed with +CPMS, +CNMI for Class 0,1,2 SMs

Hi,

I'm playing with sending/receiving Class SMs and trying to understand exactly how they work etc.

I've managed to create PDU strings for sending SMs of Class 0,1 & 2 and am sending them using AT commands/Hyperterminal connected to a nokia 6630 (datacable). When i send them to my Nokia 8800 they are received correctly i.e. the Class 0 SM is received as a flash msg and not saved to memory, the Class 1 SM is saved to Phone memory, and the Class 2 SM is saved to SIM memory. However, i've tried sending them to my datacard connected to hyperterminal & am not sure of what AT commands to use to ensure that all 3 classes are received correctly.

i've tried combinations of the following but am really sure what values I need:

AT+CNMI=1,2,0,1,0
    AT+CNMI=1,1,0,1,0

AT+CPMS="SM","SM","SM"
    AT+CPMS="ME","ME","ME"
    AT+CPMS="MT","MT","MT"

If i set +CPMS to "SM", then all of the classes get saved to that memory, but if i set +CPMS to "MT", then they all get saved to that location instead. Shouldn't this be dicated by the Class identifier? i.e. If I've sent a Class 1 and a Class 2 SM to the device, shouldn't the Class 1 be saved in "MT" and the Class 2 be saved in "SM"?

Also, can Class 0 SMs be identified via AT commands? I was expecting this message to be deleted once read..

I'm using AT+CMGL to read the messages, is there a way of using this command to specify reading from SIM memory or ME memory only?

edit: After more investigation, it appears there is a known problem with regards reading the "ME" memory location with AT commands. Only the "SM" location can be accessed.

i.e. AT+CPMS="ME","MT","SM"

would only show the correct information for "SM" but show empty "ME"/"MT" locations.

Am still struggling to understand why Class 0,1 and 2 SMs that are sent to the device are all stored on the "SM" memory location when reading them with AT commands?

Any ideas of how i can receive a notification of incoming SMs (e.g. +CMTI:"SM",1). I have tried AT+CNMI=2,1,0,0,1 but to no avail.

Many thanks,
    Joe
    Last edited by joe--joe; 2006-01-20 at 11:59. Reason: update

Re: Help needed with +CPMS, +CNMI for Class 0,1,2 SMs

HI,
    Were your able to read sms via AT commands... on ur 6630??
    I tried a lot ..... IT always gave an error...
    How do i do it?

Re: Help needed with +CPMS, +CNMI for Class 0,1,2 SMs

hi i want to send class0 sms using ATcommands but i couldn't find how to do that can u help me
    Quote Originally Posted by joe--joe
    Hi,

I'm playing with sending/receiving Class SMs and trying to understand exactly how they work etc.

I've managed to create PDU strings for sending SMs of Class 0,1 & 2 and am sending them using AT commands/Hyperterminal connected to a nokia 6630 (datacable). When i send them to my Nokia 8800 they are received correctly i.e. the Class 0 SM is received as a flash msg and not saved to memory, the Class 1 SM is saved to Phone memory, and the Class 2 SM is saved to SIM memory. However, i've tried sending them to my datacard connected to hyperterminal & am not sure of what AT commands to use to ensure that all 3 classes are received correctly.

i've tried combinations of the following but am really sure what values I need:

AT+CNMI=1,2,0,1,0
    AT+CNMI=1,1,0,1,0

AT+CPMS="SM","SM","SM"
    AT+CPMS="ME","ME","ME"
    AT+CPMS="MT","MT","MT"

If i set +CPMS to "SM", then all of the classes get saved to that memory, but if i set +CPMS to "MT", then they all get saved to that location instead. Shouldn't this be dicated by the Class identifier? i.e. If I've sent a Class 1 and a Class 2 SM to the device, shouldn't the Class 1 be saved in "MT" and the Class 2 be saved in "SM"?

Also, can Class 0 SMs be identified via AT commands? I was expecting this message to be deleted once read..

I'm using AT+CMGL to read the messages, is there a way of using this command to specify reading from SIM memory or ME memory only?

edit: After more investigation, it appears there is a known problem with regards reading the "ME" memory location with AT commands. Only the "SM" location can be accessed.

i.e. AT+CPMS="ME","MT","SM"

would only show the correct information for "SM" but show empty "ME"/"MT" locations.

Am still struggling to understand why Class 0,1 and 2 SMs that are sent to the device are all stored on the "SM" memory location when reading them with AT commands?

Any ideas of how i can receive a notification of incoming SMs (e.g. +CMTI:"SM",1). I have tried AT+CNMI=2,1,0,0,1 but to no avail.

Many thanks,
    Joe

Unhappy Re: Help needed with +CPMS, +CNMI for Class 0,1,2 SMs

does anyone knw whether nokia 5220 support reading of msz's thru At commands to read... i can send msz's but unable to read msz please help buddies