Discussion Board

WHY DON"T SOMEONE REPLY??[help needed.plz do reply]

hello,
    i m supposed to design a simple multiplayer game for mobiles.its my semester project at my college and i have 3 months.i have no knowledge of mobile gaming,have worked with JAVA.i am planning to design a simple board game.i need to know the following things
    1)what are the steps actually involved in designing any (simple)multiplayer game??
    2)what all am i supposed to learn to design a simple multiplaye game from scratch??
    3)plz help me with ebooks,tutorials etc stuff which focus on multiplayer game development for mobiles.
    waiting for ur replies
    THANKS
    Last edited by toonaughty85; 2006-01-24 at 03:40.

Re: multiplayer game designing[help needed.plz do reply]

plz someone reply

1. Think about a simple multiplayer game. Really simple because you do not have a lot of time and mobile devices have limited memory. Do not underestimate the possible complexity of the game. Multiplayer adds a whole other level. How do you deal with latency or other issues?

2. Check out your local bookstores for java gaming, best case java wireless gaming.
    Surf the net and check sites.

You need to plan and get to work real soon. This may not be trivial and you want to hand in something that works.

Good luck

In such a less time frame you may try turn based games like Tic-Tac-Toe

Regular Contributor

one more thing to consider:
    when you say design a multiplayer game, do you need both players to be on different phones?

If no, meaning that both players can share a phone (like in the case of Tic Tac Toe), then your job is much easier programming wise (imo at least).

If yes, you need to decide on the mode of communication (my guess at this point would prolly be bluetooth), and find out which phones support it, and in the case of bluetooth, learn the Bluetooth API.

My suggestion would be to choose a simple game, without the need of communication between 2 devices (to make your job easier). This means that you can pick a less graphic intensive game (which will also be easier since you're new to J2ME).

And just because you know JAVA, don't think it'll be a breeze. J2ME techniques and classes are a little different from J2SE. (note your memory is more limited.. much more)

Starting point (if you don't like this article, do a google search and get another one to help you out):
    http://today.java.net/pub/a/today/2005/02/09/j2me1.html

Download the API specifications for CLDC and MIDP:
    http://java.sun.com/products/cldc/index.jsp
    http://java.sun.com/products/midp/index.jsp

Search for J2ME articles and tips here (there is a huge list of them):
    http://developers.sun.com/

The rest is up to you. You really should be doing this research on your own seeing that it is your college project..... we can help you better when you have a specific technical problem rather than just a plea for help.

Cheers.

thanku all for ur valuable suggestions.

i m planning to do a simple game LINK5(the person who first links any 5 continuous points wins).The two persons should be using different mobiles.
    how should my approach be??
    should i first design a single player game and then take care of the connection??
    can u help me in finding some tutorials on designing LINK5 type multiplayer games??
    can i complete it in 3 months??
    regards,
    thanks.

Regular Contributor

should i first design a single player game and then take care of the connection??
    My suggestion is to first program it for ONE phone and TWO players. (eg. both players will take turns on that same phone). That way, you will have your logic completed. Leave the communication for later (that's what i think at least).

For communication, there are many "possible ways" to connect 2 phones... Bluetooth, thru some server (needs some form of data transfer capability... wap or something), or a feasible but rather expensive(for the player) and non common way of doing it is thru sms messages..... Best advice is to first go read before asking your questions.

can i complete it in 3 months??
    Of course. The question is Are you Willing to Complete it in 3 months.