Discussion Board

Angry S60 2nd FP3 and 3rd - Flash Lite frustration

Just to share my frustration of Nokia behaviour with announces of new handsets.

Several months ago Nokia announced new devices like N91, N90 and other 2nd FP3 and 3rd Edition. Specification pages for all devices has been fulfilled with information relating Flash Lite Player embedded and support of Scalabe 2D Vecotr Graphics API.

Since N91 released i've been unable to find Flash Player on it, and at Macromedia Flash Lite page i found that all new Nokia handset do not have Flash Player pre-installed. But Nokia still kept information that handsets have Flash Player.

And amazing thing.. today i found all mentioning about Flash Lite and Scalabe 2D Vector Graphics API has been removed from device's specification pages.

Very nice behavior of Nokia.. and seems like SonyEricsson W810i will be first non-japan market handset with pre-installed Flash Lite.

Super Contributor

Re: S60 2nd FP3 and 3rd - Flash Lite frustration

The N91 hasn't been released yet.

I suspect you'll see Flash-Lite embedded on S60 3rd Edition devices, but not on those based on earlier S60 versions, unless an operator wants to have it on their subsidized variants.

Why is Flash-Lite so important to you that you get frustrated?

yes.. my mistake... i played with N90.. but it change nothing.. any notes about Flash Player on devices were removed

and the main.. why its important to me and why i'm frustrated..
    You know.. flash lite was positioned as a new ability for making mobile content... and number of flash-enabled devices is a target market to sell such kind of conent. I expected with new devices Nokia will bring a new wave and such market will be initiated. But.. as you see.. nothing happens.. And if i develop flash lite content.. whom to sell it? just to share with other developer???

Super Contributor

I see. I'm sure the devices will come, but adopting new(ish) technologies to devices takes time, and won't happen overnight.

sure it will..

Nokia Developer Expert

Even so, the first version of Flash Lite (1.1) is kind of limited in functionality so you'd better wait for version 2.0 to be released so you can get really important features for your applications.

Daniel

Nokia Developer Champion

Ciao,

new here but not to Flash Lite. FL1.1 will come soon to phone but for 2.0 it will take longer time.

Alessandro

Hi,

currently there seems to be only one way to distribute your Flash Lite content and get profit.

1. Get a distribution deal to Japan (and maybe Korea)

And this means Flash Lite 1.1. content only.
    With Flash Lite 2.0 (and newer versions of it) we´ll just have to wait.

Cheers,
    Miikka