Discussion Board

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Regular Contributor

Can a Symbian C++ client program communicate with a program residing on a webserver ?

Hi !

I intend to write a simple client that will reside on a symbian series 60 phone and will communicate with a server program residing on some webserver. The server side program will listen for connections on a given port and will talk to my client.The Server side program may be written in either Perl or Java or any other language.
    The program would work as follows :
    I send a message which is nothing but a simple string from my series 60 phone to the server program who then redirects the string to another Symbian series 60 phone.
    In other words I intend to develop an instant messaging app. Is it possible to acheive this functionality and if yes then Id appreciate some tips or sample code to get me started. Ive already gone through the socket and HTTP examples that are part of the SDK. What Im stuck on is how will I make my client written in Symbian C++ talk to a special program residing on a webserver ?. The SDK I use is SDK v2.1 and use Borland C++ BuilderX as my IDE.

Thanks a lot

Regular Contributor

Re: Can a Symbian C++ client program communicate with a program residing on a webserver ?

Well, you've answered it yourself really. A HTTP server is just a special program residing on a machine someplace, which listens on Port 80 for someone (a broswer usually) to connect to it. So where the HTTP client examples talk on port 80, you just need to substitute your own selected port number and your own message format.

Regular Contributor

Re: Can a Symbian C++ client program communicate with a program residing on a webserver ?

Hi trafcam,
    Thanks for the reply . Yeah, you are right that all I need to do is send my string to the HTTP server listening at port 80 . But, the problem is that the server should dedicatedly listen for incoming connections from my program and as soon as it receives the string immediately forward it to another cell phone .
    Can the server on itself send a string to another phone ? . If yes, then how do I acheive this functionality ?

Thanks a lot
    Last edited by razas; 2006-01-30 at 13:39.

Hi,

I don't think that you need http server, you can use socket apis for this purpose.
    contact me on rami75lu@myway.com

Rami

Regular Contributor

No, I didn't mean use the HTTP server, I meant use the examples to communicate with your server running on your special port. How you pass it on to the receiving phone will depend on how instant you want it to be.

Regular Contributor

Smile Re: Can a Symbian C++ client program communicate with a program residing on a webserver ?

You can communicate to your server program using either HTTP or sockets. With regards to forwarding messages to another phone, you would need to create something that does what a SIP/IAX2 server does. What you have is a phone addressing problem which should be solved by the SIP and IAX2 protocols. It is easy communicating from phone to PC. The more difficult part is communicating from PC to phone but it can be done.

Super Contributor

Re: Can a Symbian C++ client program communicate with a program residing on a webserv

Hi guys,

my question is little off topic, did you have any experiences with IAX?

Bye
    STeN

Regular Contributor

Smile Re: Can a Symbian C++ client program communicate with a program residing on a webserver ?

Experiencing it now

Re: Can a Symbian C++ client program communicate with a program residing on a webserv

Hi

Please can you let us know how your experiences went with iax and nokias?

Many Thanks
    Clive

Regular Contributor

Hello,

The project was discontinued since the one who wanted it left and started his own VoIP company. If I cannot help, I might be able to refer someone from the Philippines who I heard is currently working on this.

Ryan

Regular Contributor

Coming back to the topic of Client Server communication using HTTP , i wanna ask is audio streamming possible ?

I m thinking of two scenarios:

1) An audio file is in a Simple PC and I want the Symabian Client will play it
    giving it the address of the audio file.

How is it possible ?First download the file ,save it in phone buffrer the play it through a player - will be the steps I think.So what APIs are needed for it ?

2) Direct streaming from server

If i want the audio to be downloaded and delevered (means played) simultaneoulsy, what are the steps to b performed.

Thanks a lot,
    NN
    Last edited by netra; 2007-10-10 at 13:59.

Check out SOAP, see if it meets your needs.
    http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph...ccess_Protocol

Quote Originally Posted by netra View Post
    Coming back to the topic of Client Server communication using HTTP , i wanna ask is audio streamming possible ?

How is it possible ?First download the file ,save it in phone buffrer the play it through a player - will be the steps I think.So what APIs are needed for it ?

If i want the audio to be downloaded and delevered (means played) simultaneoulsy, what are the steps to b performed.

Thanks a lot,
    NN
    Hi Netra,
    I want to samething exacly what you need. can you post some code if you have on this thread.??

Regular Contributor

Hi,

This can be done.
    Both ways you have specified can be done.
    You can use the RHTTP library of symbian if you want to download the file or even the download manager client. If you want to stream you need to use RSocket and stream the same. Infact we have developed a fantastic app for 3.x versions for doing the same.It took quite some time.But go ahead pal. It can be done.

Regards,
    Pavan
    Regards,
    Pavan M.V

Email: pavan.mysore@symbian.com /pavan.vishu@gmail.com

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by netra View Post

Thanks a lot,
    NN
    please check this post, this may help you
    http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...ight=streaming
    Arun N R Nair