Discussion Board

Http midlet does not work on 3220

Hi everyone,

I have a working midlet on the Nokia 6330, which simply downloads a picture from the internet using http sockets.

The same midlet does not download the picture on the Nokia 3220.. Can anybody help me out with this?

Thanks in advance,

Martijn.

Nokia Developer Expert

Re: Http midlet does not work on 3220

Please check the Known Issues document at Forum Nokia web site, there's a problem with the access point configuration in 3220 that can affect your midlet's functionality.

Daniel

Thanks for the help.

BTW:
    I forgot to mention that on the Nokia 3220 normal browsing functionality works, but the midlet does not download the image...

Looking forward to your hints. Thanks,
    Martijn.

Nokia Developer Expert

They are not related. Your browser can (and actualy MUST) work with Wap access points, but your midlet will only work with a true Internet access point configured in your phone.

Daniel

Okay.
    How can I make sure that my midlets point to an internet acces point. My mobile phone company Telfort says that they use one system for their configuration settings (wap and internet).

And can one change the settings for Java MIDP2 applications such that the right acces points is chosen?

Maybe it is possible to change it yourself or to point to another internet access point (maybe from another provider?)

Thanks,
    Martijn.

PS Could it also be that the message "subscribe to GPRS first" pops up because of other problems. (Does the 3220 require certification of midlets that make http connections, for example?)

Nokia Developer Expert

1) You have to ask your company whether the access point you're using is an Internet access point or a WAP one.

2) You can change the Default access point of the phone to point to your Internet access point.

3) The midlet application has no way to change the access point itself.

4) 3220 does not require certification in order to allow a midlet to connect via HTTP. Can you ask your operator about this error?

Daniel

Hi,

Good to hear that certification is not required for http connection in the Nokia 3220 (the same holds for sockets I hope?)

The Telfort company says that they only have one access point for both wap and internet and it reads: wap.telfort.nl (counterintuitive he?)

In configuration settings there is a submenu Preferred Access point. When I go there, there is no equivalent access point for telfort. (Although you expect that this is installed when you download the setting via nokia.com) Also, in this submenu there is no way to add a new preferred access point. (Or should I do this by creating a new Personal configuration in another menu?)

Thanks for your help.
    (I think other people should also have experienced this or are trying the same now)

hi

i have a nokia 2650. does it support SocketConnection??? also has anyone encountered any problems using HTTPConnection on this phone??

Manas

I noticed that there can be significant differences in how carriers handle socket connections.
    Some carrier only allows sockets for postpaid (subscription) members, and prohibit sockets for prepaid members.

So be sure that you check with you carrier what they do and do not provide.

i read sumwhere that nokia 2650 supports HTTP Connections....does it also SocketConnections???

Super Contributor

no
    1/ btw, this is not the place to ask this. next time please initiate a different thread.
    2/ 2650 is s40 1st ed, id est it is midp 1.0 (http://www.forum.nokia.com/main/0,,0...tml?model=2650)
    3/ SocketConnection, as you can see in the javadoc, is supported since midp 2.0
    4/ conclusion : 2650 does not support SocketConnection

I finally managed to configure my Nokia 3220 for GPRS connectivity for midlets:

1. Create a Personal configuration in the configuration settings menu.
    2. Choose to create an Access Point
    3. Make sure in Bearer setting that you have as GPRS access point: internet
    4. Activate the personal configuration
    5. Choose your personal configuration in Configuration Settings - preferred access point

It is a pity that this is not automatically configured when you receive the configuration sms messages. I think Nokia should do this in next version of their system!

Nokia Developer Expert

I am not sure of the details of the arrangements, but I believe that the configuration settings are those that operators tell they should be. My operator for example won't make available any Internet access points unless I pay more for them, even configuring via Nokia web site does not work.

Daniel

I have the same problem. SW v 04.94. My midlet app cannot connect to a remote server. I have another 3220 Phone SW v 05.10 it works fine. I tried every setting to other 3220 phone didn't get any luck