Discussion Board

Thread: Siging MIDlet

Siging MIDlet

A recurrent problem ?

Ok, let's go...for an other security Thread!

I sign a MIDlet with the default certificate of Nokia, but this one is not found on the Key Store on the mobile, so the MIDlet is not loaded.

I can't export the certificate from the Nokia tool plugin, I can just import.
    I can't export from Nokia, just import from a server with the application type '.der'.

So I choosed to install a certificate on the Nokia (9500) and create a fresh nice clean never used cerificate (a root one for the Nokia) and try to import it with an url, but ... Nokia doesn't recognize the der format as one specific format to save in his keystore and no application is launched except a save file dialog to store the certificate on the filesystem which is useless.

so I don't know how to do !
    I've parsed the whole forum, and found a lot of threads on the subject the answer is well known but the application doesn't work.

So , have I missed some point ?
    Thx

Nokia Developer Expert

Re: Siging MIDlet

I sign a MIDlet with the default certificate of Nokia, but this one is not found on the Key Store on the mobile, so the MIDlet is not loaded.

What does that mean? To effectively sign a midlet, you need to buy your own certificate from a trusted CA, such as Verisign or Thawte, and then sign the midlet with your valid certificate.

Daniel

What does it mean ?

It means that if :
    - I have a root certificate installed in the keystore of the nokia so I can act
    as a CA.
    - I gen a key pair (with keytool)
    - then a CSR (keytool)
    - then sign it with my root cert
    - import the signed cert in keystore
    - sign my jar with jadtool

And this should mean
    Thx

Nokia Developer Expert

Well, it looks like yours is a self-signed certificate, that is, you haven't got it from an actual CA. As far as I know, this will only work in the emulator. Here's what I found in the Tutorial on signed MIDlets document:

For experimentation purposes, it is possible create your own “self-signed” certificate and load it to the emulator. However, this approach will not work in actual Nokia devices since the set of root certificates is closed.

Daniel

Yes, you are right.
    I have read this too. But I could installed a root certificate on the Nokia!
    So, THIS IS POSSIBLE to have his own root CA on the Nokia...

The fact is that when I do all the signing process with jarsigner and keytool java cmd, I get an error when loading the archive: "bad archive"!

Is this locked at the OS level on the nokia ?
    Thx

Nokia Developer Champion
    You can install root certificates on most Nokias and can be used for secure internet access (SSL). On some it is possible to use these certificates for code signing, too.

There a several tutorials how to do the latter. However for a productive system (after testing), you should buy a code signing certificate, if it is required in your domain at all.
    Last edited by traud; 2008-01-25 at 11:43.