Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Problem with ethernet on s603rd emulator

Hi,

Im having a bit trouble when I´m trying to configure the emulator on S60v3 to connect to internet.

I´m following the guide in the SDK, WinpCap 3.0 is installed, i have configured the "ethernetCed.xml" as it says in the SDK when using a dynamic ip. I have run the "Configchange.pl" as follow:

"perl ..\tools\configchange.pl --config ethernetWithCommDB --kernel EKA2 --target winscw --variant UDEB"

I get no errors when trying to do this, one thins that is a bit strange is that the SDK says that this script will change my mac-adress in the epoc.ini. This is not done, i have tried to do this manually but no change.

Ok, now I have done everythin that the SDK says. I start the emulator (winscw udeb) and tries to access the internet through services menu. I enter a adress and klick ok, I get a list of iaps. Now here is the problem, it doesn´t matter wich iap I choose, the emulator allways craches.

When trying to do this in CodeWarrior I get this error in Debug Messages window.

78.195 #####NotifyDiskSpace returned error -20
    83.195 #####NotifyDiskSpace returned error -20
    85.350 RAknUiServer::ConnectAknServer(), handle 1075052552, cconndlgappserver
    85.350 RAknUiServer::ConnectAknServer() end
    85.880 FAULT: D32ETHER 00000003

Does anyone have a solution to this problem, I would be most greatful for every answer I get.

Thanx all.

//Henrik

Re: Problem with ethernet on s603rd emulator

It should be not necessary to try to set up TCP/IP support in S60 3rd Edition emulator with using Winpcap and CommsDB manual modifications. Though, you are free to do so when pursuing special cases such as different access point names and raw packet transport.

S60 3rd Edition emulator comes out-of-the-box with preconfigured "Winsock" access point which enables TCP/IP support transparently via Windows sockets. In every case when networking mode is supported in emulator, once connection attempt is made, you should see only "Winsock" offered in access point selection pop-up, and selecting it should allow you accessing network. For example, if you open a web browser in S60 emulator, once you sumbit URL, you just have to select "Winsock" once it is offered and browser will start fetching the page.

Please note that Winpcap is not required for this. Winsock just works as it is.

Regular Contributor

Thanx,
    I uninstalled the sdk I had and installed a beta sdk. With this new one I get internet access using Winsock and the services menu in the emulator. My app doesn´t seem to be able to connect to the internet though (porting from s60_v2) but I will look into it.

Thank you very much for your help.

//Henrik

thanx msmyslov for suggesting winsock

I wasted my 4 days to setup ethernet connection using adaptor for s30 3rd beta Emulator. Now my emulator is connect to http server.

But how can I specify winsock in my code as I am writing download application in s60 SDK 3rd .

Regular Contributor

Hi,
    That is a good question. I have not been able to do this using RSocket (just get KErrDisconnected when trying to receive data) yet, althoug I have not had the time to look into it either. If I get some answers I will post it here and I hope you do the same.

Have a nice day.

//Henrik

Quote Originally Posted by bhagwatr
    I wasted my 4 days to setup ethernet connection using adaptor for s30 3rd beta Emulator. Now my emulator is connect to http server.

But how can I specify winsock in my code as I am writing download application in s60 SDK 3rd .
    You do not need to concern about access point. It is always up to the phone's user which method of connection (i.e. access point) to select.
    In fact, Access Point engine API is not public for this reason. Once an application attempts network connection, S60 framework will notice that and will pop-up AP selection dialog automatically. This is in brief. There are some more advanced scenarios, but that's slightly too deep for this topic :)

Regular Contributor

So basicaly what you are saying is that all the trouble in the past with doing automatic iap searching is no longer needed on s60v3?

Just start a RConnection and the phone will prompt the user and there is no way to get around this?

Thanx for your reply.

//Henrik

Regular Contributor

"Just start a RConnection and the phone will prompt the user and there is no way to get around this?"

It is possible to select APN automatically (programatically) using the same API as in S60 2nd.

Code:
    TCommDbConnPref pref;

if (promptDialog)
      {
      	pref.SetDialogPreference( ECommDbDialogPrefPrompt );
      }
      else
      {

pref.SetIapId(apnUid); // IAP ID for connection to be used

VDebug::singleton()->dataFormat(VLIT("S60IPManager::connectAPN - Selecting IAP id = %d"),apnUid);

pref.SetDialogPreference( ECommDbDialogPrefDoNotPrompt );
      }

pref.SetDirection( ECommDbConnectionDirectionOutgoing );

NIAconnection.Start(pref,iStatus);

SetActive();
    have a nice day

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Tatanka.nbr1
    Hi,

Im having a bit trouble when I´m trying to configure the emulator on S60v3 to connect to internet.

I´m following the guide in the SDK, WinpCap 3.0 is installed, i have configured the "ethernetCed.xml" as it says in the SDK when using a dynamic ip. I have run the "Configchange.pl" as follow:

"perl ..\tools\configchange.pl --config ethernetWithCommDB --kernel EKA2 --target winscw --variant UDEB"

//Henrik
    I am trying to do the same but I get the error:

Setting up CommDB for ethernet
    Running Netcards to obtain adapter info
    Adapters installed:
    1- \Device\{570E9519-C9CF-4121-A65A-117DC651F20B}
    Description: Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC

MAC........: 00:16:76:50:02:f0
    Speed Mbps.: 100
    Gateway....: 192.168.111.1

Selected \Device\{570E9519-C9CF-4121-A65A-117DC651F20B}:
    Writing settings to ..\data\ethernet.ini.
    Writing selected driver to ..\data\etherdriver.dat.
    Writing MAC to ..\data\ethermac.dat.
    Can't find netcards output file, ethernet.ini!

And after this if I open the Emulator it crashes after selecting the access point. Can anyone suggest why it is behaving like this.
    Am I supposed to reinstall the SDK and use the default Winsock?

Regards.

Regular Contributor

Hello Tina,

have you found a solution?
    I'm facing the same output of the perl configchange command.
    Can't find netcards output file, ethernet.ini!
    When launching the command I'm located in %EPOCROOT%\epoc32\tools
    %EPOCROOT% is set to \Symbian\8.1a\S60_2nd_FP3\

The ethernet.ini is written.

Anyway, the emulator does not crash. It just says it can't find the page.

Thanks to anyone who can help!

Regards,
    Karsten

Regular Contributor

Hello and sorry,

it was my fault that the emulator couldn't find the web page. The server is running on another port than 80, so I just had to specify this.

However, the output of the perl script has not changed, of course.

Happy emulating,
    Karsten

Regular Contributor

Is there a bug in configchange.pl ?

Hello,

I'm still wondering about this message that the ethernet.ini can't be found.
    I have found this line of code in the configchange.pl:
    Code:
    open ( INFILE, "ethernet.ini" ) or die "Can't find netcards output file, ethernet.ini!\n"; # get from current directory where netcards wrote it to
    That means that the script looks for this file in the actual directory. The script has to be executed from <EPOCROOT>\epoc32\tools. I could not find any ethernet.ini in that path. I have found two ones in:
    1) C:\Symbian\8.1a\S60_2nd_FP3\Epoc32\winscw\c\system\data
    2) C:\Symbian\8.1a\S60_2nd_FP3\Epoc32\Data
    The one in path no.2 is the one that is written when the script is run. The one in path no.1 seemed to be touched when we tried to start the emulator and set up the properties via the menu (what always fails).

I have also copied the one in no.2 to no.1. I don't know whether that makes sense. But it did not cause any disturbation.

However, the error message is shown but the internet connection seems to work. I don't know what is missing.

I guess it is a bug and should be fixed in the SDK.

Regards,
    Karsten

Hi all,

I had the same problem "Can't find netcards output file, ethernet.ini!", and as previous post said, the ethernet.ini files is in "C:\Symbian\8.1a\S60_2nd_FP3\Epoc32\Data" directory, then the configchange.pl must be run as follows:

cd C:\Symbian\8.1a\S60_2nd_FP3\Epoc32\Data
    C:\Symbian\8.1a\S60_2nd_FP3\Epoc32\Data>perl ..\tools\configchange.pl --config ethernetWithCommDB --kernel EKA2 --target winscw --variant UDEB

the final output is:

Writing settings to ..\data\ethernet.ini.
    Writing selected driver to ..\data\etherdriver.dat.
    Writing MAC to ..\data\ethermac.dat.
    generating epoc ini
    Appending settings to current epoc.ini

This solved my problem, I hope that this can help them.

Regards,
    Gustavo M.