Discussion Board

How to silently send information

Hi all,

I´m developing some DRM stuff, and have to send several messages to implement some of the protocols this standard has, but can´t help the device asking the user if he is sure to send that data each time a PDU is about to be sent....

This doesn´t make any sense, cause this process should be transparent for the user, so I would like to know how I can do to silently send information, avoiding asking for user consent each time something is gonna be sent....

Thanks a lot !!

Super Contributor

Re: How to silently send information

This is a setting the user has to change by himself. You didn't mention what phones you tried it on, but when a user installs a MIDlet, there is usually a menu for it's security settings. From there the user can select options that determine the behaviour of the phone when a MIDlet tries to connect to the network. The options are usually:
    * Do not allow connections.
    * Ask every time.
    * Ask only on the first connection.
    * Do not ask for permission. (this option won't be available if your application is unsigned though).

You have no control over these settings, and the default is usually either "Ask always" or "Ask once", so the most you can do is let the user know through an Alert or something similar that he should his settings.

shmoove

I am using Nokia_prototype_SDK_4.0, actually the series 40,... you´ve sorted out my doubt, but just let me ask you if you know how I can choose between those options when emulating with the series 40 emulator, if there is any way... cause it´s quite annoying when I am testing it.

and again, thanks a lot !!

Super Contributor

I'm not familiar with that specific SDK, but there must be somewhere where you can change the setting. In the 6230i for example, you go to "Tools"->"Preferences", choose the "MIDP" tab, and there in the middle of the dialog there is a "Set permissions" button which opens a screen where you can change those settings. It must be something similar in the newer SDKs.

shmoove

ok fine ! I will try that... Thank you very much !!

Super Contributor

hopefully the user always have the choice _NOT_ to send data that might be a privacy violation, and that might cost him a lot.

anyway, the user usually can set the policy to 'ask once only', and when the app is signed, to 'always authorise'