Discussion Board

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

J2ME Video Streaming

i did my research and all i can find is video streaming from PC-Phone. i was planning on making an application on a Nokia 6600 that would serve as a web cam. i was planning on streaming video from Phone-PC.. accessing the captured images from the phones camera and streaming it to a desktop player (ie real player, windows media player)

is this possible? can anyone help me? thanx in advance

Re: J2ME Video Streaming

hello guys,
    normally, you need to use RTP to do the streaming. however, J2ME does not support the RTP. I am not sure you are using J2ME or symbian. Someone said so far its impossible to do the Stream on mobile. someone said you can. I have no idea. im doing a project about streaming on mobile as well. I haven't done it. I hope someone can give us some suggestions. coz too many people are involved this topic. thanks in advance.

help? please...

(Retired) Nokia Developer Admin.

Quote Originally Posted by bangus
    i did my research and all i can find is video streaming from PC-Phone. i was planning on making an application on a Nokia 6600 that would serve as a web cam. i was planning on streaming video from Phone-PC.. accessing the captured images from the phones camera and streaming it to a desktop player (ie real player, windows media player)

is this possible? can anyone help me? thanx in advance
    This will be possible shortly. Streaming is not possible at the moment in MIDlets in Nokia phones. RTSP is basically supported, but in practice MIDlet reads whole audio/video file to a buffer and plays it from there. HTTP streaming is not supported at all, yet.

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Nokia Ron
    This will be possible shortly. Streaming is not possible at the moment in MIDlets in Nokia phones. RTSP is basically supported, but in practice MIDlet reads whole audio/video file to a buffer and plays it from there. HTTP streaming is not supported at all, yet.

Ron
    is there a work-around? i was thinking of just sending multiple pictures to the pc then the pc would compress it as one video... there would be no audio though.. do you think this would work? any tips?

(Retired) Nokia Developer Admin.

Hi,

This is not my area I am just passing on information from engineering. I don't have any sources and it appears that the time this thread was visible that few others had an answer.

I don't see any way to do this in realtime at this moment in J2ME, did you consider doing something in C++ and using that?

Ron

i really don't know C++ that much... no.. at all

I'm bumping this thread, in the hope that someone has found a work around?

When can we expect support for streaming? And any ideas as to how we can circumvent the lack of support in the mean while?

Super Contributor

Hi BAngus,
    Regarding rtp streaming...

it depends on the individual devices. The MIDP standard does not support rtp, but some manufacturers might support this protocol. You need to check the particular devices.

Thanks
    Soku

Hi everybody.I'm involved in a project like most of you.
    I've to write an application for audio/video streaming on mobile phones using j2me.

I read that a possible solution is to write a custon DataSource that can manage RTSP/RTP protocol and then reproduce that data with multiple players.My questions are:

1)If i choose this way..how could i do? Have I to write an implementation of the RTSP/RTP protocol, using datagrams, that produces a suitable datasource for a player/players?

2)What if I focus on new generation mobile phones?Do they have MMAPIs that work directly with a rtsp locator? If so, where can i get those api's?I watched the GCF but i found that there isn't a RTSPConnection or stuff like that..Are these api's included in the Wireless Toolkit?

Thank you for any suggestion and sorry for my english :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Nokia Ron

Ron

So even with RTSP, it's simply downloading the whole file and then playback? I thought the whole point of RTSP (Real Time Streaming Protocol) is to stream video/audio contents? So that means even with the new S60 3rd edition phones (N91) it is not possible to stream videos even though they support RTSP? So that leads to another question --> there are applications such as mobiTV which are j2me based and support streaming, would Nokia know how they get around to implement that? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,

Lee

Hello guys, it´s possible to do streaming audio/video with j2me, but not with nokia phones. It´s terrible to say this, but you can do with Sony Ericsson phones ....

Guys, at Nokia, wake up!
    I love Nokia phones, and I thinks most of the guys here also do, we would like to do nasty audio applications, let us fly!

Another thing, you can do streaming audio/video using the resident Real Audio Player, but, you will need do have a Real Server to provide the 3gp file.
    This is also terrible, there´s a lot of rtsp servers (free and reliable) like Darwin, but the Real Player resident in the phone only accept audio from Real Server .... terrible, terrible, terrible!

Regular Contributor

They did wake up, but a little late. The N91 and other S60 3rd edition devices are supposed to support rtsp. But the N91 is too expensive to even bother with at this point. Meanwhile, most mid-priced Sony Ericsson phones released in the last year work, as well as 3G Motorola devices, and at least some Samsung and Sanyo phones.

I am very confused by the mixed messages sent out from forum members and Nokia on RTSP support for MIDP. Several forum member say that S60 2nd Edition, Feature Pack 3 (N70 & N90) and S60 3rd Edition and S40 3rd Edition phones should support RTSP but I have not heard of anyone successfully implementing this.

One would hope that Nokia documentation on MMAPI implementation would clearly state what support there is for RTSP. http://sw.nokia.com/id/59c97da0-92fb...de_v1_0_en.pdf

Section 5.5 of this document specifies
    "The MMAPI specification defines locator syntax for RTP streaming. RTP streaming is not, however, supported from a locator, only from input stream."

Ok, one would then think that RTSP is supported but you need to pass in an inputstream when creating the Player object. However after spending hours trying several types of connection objects to pass an InputStream to the player on a N70 and N80 I have not been sucessful in doing it. I always get a Connection or Symbian Protocol Exception when using an RTSP protocol name.

I am further worried by the lack of RTSP showing up as a supported protocol when I get the properties from the System.

I am therefore concluding that there is no current support for RTSP for the MIDP environment in any current Nokia phones.

I would love if someone with experience in this or someone from Nokia could confirm my conclusion

Regular Contributor

It is not S60 feature pack 3 that supports rtsp streaming, it is S60 3rd edition. The N70 and N90 are 2nd ed. The N91 is 3rd ed. and is available now.

You cannot use a custom DataSource to achieve true streaming on any phone that I am aware of. The Player implementations do not support continuous data sources. Phones that support rtsp in java do it by passing the locator string to the native side. It's a hack that bypasses the mmapi stream model.

The statement "RTP streaming is not, however, supported from a locator, only from input stream" in the Nokia doc does not mean that rtp is supported. It is badly worded and only means that you can play from an input stream. But input streams must end before the Player will start.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast