Discussion Board

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: J2ME Video Streaming

Thanks for sharing Hartti. The streaming to mobile device seems to be more straightforward. My team is building an application to upload video stream to a central server. This seems to be a little tricky from various threads. Any light on this to shed? I believe we will get it done. The first step we plan to do non-real time streaming.

Simon
    Last edited by fafaacom; 2008-08-04 at 23:37.

Smile Re: J2ME Video Streaming

Hi fafaacom
    If You did it Plz How I can interact with you or your team because i will do like ur application

Lightbulb Re: J2ME Video Streaming

Hi

Please let me know if anyone has the code for videostreaming in the mobile.
    I mean not by downloading the whole & play but play while downloading (Like online streaming).

Waiting for response

signal strength of mobile data rate

HELLO everyone
    I am a new developer in mobile networks, and I found many gaps in the mobile programming is especially necessary for APIs in the development of my application that allows to adapt a video stream to the context of mobile networks.
    Please I ask you to help me and tell me the java jsr which allows me to retrieve information on the mobile's signal current flow. and if you have an example of code that deals with this kind of problem I would be very grateful for me to communicate.
    and thank you in advance
    have a good day
    Last edited by as_aouraghe; 2010-05-14 at 02:05.

as_aouraghe, are you aware that (even Series 40) Nokia phones support Audio/Video streaming built-in without the need of Java?

HI Traud;
    ok,I thought it was from the S60 supports streaming audio / video.
    is there any api in J2ME which allows me to convert a video or audio format? Because the purpose of my project is to send a video / audio stream via GPRS / UMTS while adapting the transmission rate of stream flow at the mobile receiver.
    therefore the first time streaming server must retrieve and test the flow of mobile receiver, if the mobile speed is higher than the stream and the server begins to send the stream without any adaptation. if otherwise the server must choose another video that has the transmission rate of less than or equal to that of the mobile receiver.
    Please I need your help
    Waiting your response

From my point of view, that is the purpose of RTP and video streaming. Rather than building a Java MIDlet, have you explored RTP and the built-in mobile phone video streaming already?
    Last edited by traud; 2010-05-18 at 21:57.

Super Contributor

also most JSR-135 implementation nowadays support rtsp streams...
    this can be usefull on 3g networks for example, which means that nearly all S40 devices aren't that interesting as a platform..
    also, just as an heads-up, checking once on a speed and using that to select a higher or lower bitrate won't cut it... You will have to check it frequently, possibly even continuesly, have you thought about network-handovers and how they influence your bandwidth ?

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger79 View Post
    also most JSR-135 implementation nowadays support rtsp streams...
    this can be usefull on 3g networks for example, which means that nearly all S40 devices aren't that interesting as a platform..
    also, just as an heads-up, checking once on a speed and using that to select a higher or lower bitrate won't cut it... You will have to check it frequently, possibly even continuesly, have you thought about network-handovers and how they influence your bandwidth ?

hello evryone
    I need your help please
    Iwant to know how can I do to check how network-handovers influence our bandwidth ?

Super Contributor

no idea on how you can check when a network-handover has happened...
    I do know it might influence your streaming-capabilities...
    As an example immagine you are driving around and you enter a 2G cell whilst leaving a 3G cell, this means your bandwidth will be severily limited, so if you are still streaming a high-bitrate stream it will start to stutter and maybe never recover...

Good evening
    I want to know if it is possible to connect a PC to a mobile network?
    for example, is there possibility of establishing a UMTS connection between a PC and a mobile phone?
    Thank you in advance for your reply.
    Last edited by as_aouraghe; 2010-06-04 at 08:48.

Super Contributor

well several providers sell PCMCIA cards for laptops for UMTS networks, thus connecting your laptop-pc to a cellular network.. The data rates and/or fees for such a service are pretty expensive though... Actually, as of lately her in the netherlands a provider also offers an USB dongle instead of a PCMCIA card, even though it's mostly for business usage...
    Another option might be "tethering" through a mobile, you might want to look that up in Google, to exactly explain how it works can be a long story, especially because several providers don't want you to do it..
    The short version is : you connect your mobile device to your pc (through usb cable for example), after which your pc will use the connected device as a "modem" and will be able to use it's UMTS connection as its own internet connection...
    Again, for a better and broader explanation I can advise you to look it up (google or wikipedia)...

Tiger79 thank you for your reply;
    But,I asked my previous question to check with you if is it possible to make an UMTS connection between a mobile-phone and a laptop (ie data exchange between the two using the mobile network), because my goal is to send a video streaming through mobile networks (eg UMTS) from a PC that acts as a streaming server and mobile-phone client role that plays the video stream. I have been able to read an audio stream using the wifi between the two devices (PC and mobile phone).

I have already done some research on equipment that allow me to connect a laptop to a mobile network, and actually I found a PCMCIA cards for internet access 3G and an expert has confirmed to me that these cards are simple 3G modem for internet and do not allow an exchange of data between a mobile phone and a laptop.

But,I asked my previous question to check with you if is it possible to make an UMTS connection between a mobile-phone and a laptop (ie data exchange between the two using the mobile network), because my goal is to send a video streaming through mobile networks (eg UMTS) from a PC that acts as a streaming server and mobile-phone client role that plays the video stream. I have been able to read an audio stream using the wifi between the two devices (PC and mobile phone).

I have already done some research on equipment that allow me to connect a laptop to a mobile network, and actually I found a PCMCIA cards for internet access 3G and an expert has confirmed to me that these cards are simple 3G modem for internet and do not allow an exchange of data between a mobile phone and a laptop.
    Most of the mobile network does not allow such type of P2-P2 connections, but you can try with your service provider and get a Static public IP for your 3G PCMCIA Card, if you get this then only your mobile can connect to the server running on this Laptop thru UMTS connection.

If you fail to get Static public IP, then you will need to have web proxy server that routes your Stream from LAPTOP to Mobile.

thanks,
    Ekta

Super Contributor

Actually if your PC serves as a Server then sure it's possible to set up an UMTS connection...
    I was somewhat doubtfull on what you meant, after all you cannot SETUP a UMTS connection because that would mean having your own UMTS base-station :P But you can USE the exisiting UMTS network for communication between devices...
    Your PC can simply be connected to internet via "normal" means (wi-fi, cable) and act as a server (so having a specific ip-adres/url) and then your mobile device software can connect to it through UMTS to (for example) retrieve data, use web services etc etc...

an expert has confirmed to me that these cards are simple 3G modem for internet and do not allow an exchange of data between a mobile phone and a laptop.
    I'm not sure what kind of expert this is :P But both devices are connected to the internet so actually it is possible to share data inbetween them...