Discussion Board

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Nokia Developer Moderator

3Rd edition emulator problem.

My 3rd edition emulator seems to not work on my PC, basically when starting it it just exits without giving any messages.

Basically I have excatly right perl, and a newer java than required, all HW requirements are met and I have Win Xp with Sp2 installed.

I'm using trial-time version of Codewarrior 3.1 and did manage to reqister the 3rd SDK.

I also tried renaming 'mm.tsy' as suggested in some posts.

I saw one post commenting something about Com ports with the SDK. Basically my home PC, does not use any com ports, so dunno if it is the problem.

anyway, lasts things shown before emualtor exits looks like this:
    2.495 CMMFAudioServerFactory::StartL
    2.495 Thread MMFAudioServer.exe::Local-00a01670 created @ 0xa01928 - Win32 Thread ID 0xd34
    2.705 Thread MMFAudioServer.exe::Local-00a01670 Killed -5
    2.705 CMMFAudioServerFactory::StopL
    2.705 Thread eiksrvs.exe::KeySoundServerThread Panic ALLOC: 10af2ce8
    2.705 Thread eiksrvs.exe::EikAppUiServerThread Panic KERN-EXEC 3
    2.705 Thread eiksrvs.exe::UikonWatchers Panic KERN-EXEC 3
    2.705 Thread eiksrvs.exe::ViewServerThread Panic KERN-EXEC 3
    2.705 FAULT: KERN 00000004

Everything works perfectly with my Laptop (using Win2000), but it would be nice to be able to work with my home PC as well, so if anybody has an idea of what is going wrong with the SDK, and any ways on fixing it...

yucca

Re: 3Rd edition emulator problem.

I have same KERN 4 during the bootup sometimes (though don't remember if it was related to MMF). From discussion with my collegues that use the same environment it looks, like the problem is the slow PC. Maybe some watchedog is killing system service too slow to initialize

hmmm, the emulator works with my Pentium M 1.2 Mhz laptop, and my home PC is P4 3.2 Mhz, so I wouldn't think it has to do with the slowness of the computer really.

uycca

Mine is 3 Ghz Xeon and I still have these problems. It looks like it is more dependant on some other stuff, than just the processor power: e.g. motherboard, amount of background programs running, Google Desktop and/or antivirus checking the every loaded DLL.

To me it usually helps to stop all the media players, etc and bring the emulator to the foreground (i.e. give it more processor time)

Quote Originally Posted by symbianyucca
    My 3rd edition emulator seems to not work on my PC, basically when starting it it just exits without giving any messages.
    Please check if you are logged as Administrator and clean-up your %TEMP%, especially taking care deleting EPOCWIND.OUT and *.bin files in it.

thanks for the reply. Anyway I was logged with admin rights, and went home during lunch to clear bins & the out file, but the problem is still there.

Anyway, was wondering about the Com port issue. Found one post : http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...ulator+startup
    saying that, if there is no Com ports, then it could also be problem.

Anyway, my PC only has one parallel port, no serial ones, so in device manager there is no com ports defined. So if somebody could confirm that this could have something to do with the problem, and maybe even have some advises on how to get it fixed in easy way.

yucca

Quote Originally Posted by symbianyucca
    Anyway, was wondering about the Com port issue. Found one post : http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...ulator+startup
    saying that, if there is no Com ports, then it could also be problem.
    This is close. Please also check in emulator menu->preferences, PAN settings. See if there are either Bluetooth or IrDA settings configured to COM ports. It may happen either of these set to a COM phisycally missing from OS on your machine. I hope it helps, since there should be no reason for emulator to try attaching to PC ports inadvertently inflicting harm to the user :)

I'll have a look into the issue on my lunch break again. Anyway was checking the out file from my laptop (with working emulator) and noticed that the main difference is that the MMFAudioServer.exe with PC is killed with -5, which means not-supported. With laptop there is plenty of lines doing something with this exe.

Also tried with beta, with it MMFAudioServer.exe gets bad handle and exits with Kern-Exec 0.

So was wondering, if MMFAudioServer.exe requires some special file types to be supported, or other special support that could be missing.

yucca

hmmm, can not really do anything with the emulator preferences, the menu item is dimmed untill all loading is finished, and since my emulator crashes before this happens, the menu item is dimmed and can not be used.

anyway, I installed yesterday same BT dongle i'm using on my laptop and got com3 (serial host) and Com4 (Serial client) showing on the com port list.

All and all the problem stays as it is, is it really that I'm only-one having this particular problem (one of the times I wouldn't want to be so unique...) ?

yucca

Super Contributor

Hi,

With the Beta we saw some cases where the emulator would die for no apparent reason if the PC had a built-in Ethernet port active but no cable was connected. Could this be an explanation in your case? Just a remote chance?

Thanks Mitts, anyway, managed to figure out the problem. It appeared that for some reason RealTek High Definition Audio stuff I had installed in my PC didn't want to work with SDK sound server, so after I un-installed it, and re-installed SDK, I finally managed to get it working. Dunno if my dolby stuff works anymore, but at least can do some work with it now.
    yucca

I'm running Microsoft Remote Desktop Client on my Mac -> my work PC. From your last reply, I think that's causing my same problem.

I'm trying to disable the "Microsoft RDP Audio Driver" that is automatically installed even if I ask not to have audio with my Remote Desktop session. Fingers are crossed.

I had to disable the "Microsoft UAA Function Driver for High-Definition Audio" in the Device Manager to make this error go away.

Hello all,
    I'm having the same problem: emulator exits with no user input in about 10 seconds from launch.
    Usind S60 3rd SDK FP2, JRE 1.6, Perl 5.6.1, on a Vista laptop. Same laptop, on XP SP1 ran the emulator normally.
    Tried:
    - adding a COM port
    - disabling all sound drivers ('cause I don't find a Microsoft UAA driver)
    - uninstalling/reinstalling
    - running prefs.exe and disabling IrDA (bluetooth was disabled by default)
    Haven't tried removing the network driver because my mobile app needs internet.
    So, three questions:
    1. how do I make it work?
    2. where do I find the crash logs? (Search can't find epocwind.out)
    3. do the changes I do in prefs.exe (in C:\S60\devices\S60_3rd_FP2_SDK\bin) take effect in the emulator?
    Last edited by gadubradu; 2008-04-23 at 12:12.

Quote Originally Posted by gadubradu View Post
    Hello all,
    I'm having the same problem: emulator exits with no user input in about 10 seconds from launch.
    Usind S60 3rd SDK FP2, JRE 1.6, Perl 5.6.1, on a Vista laptop. Same laptop, on XP SP1 ran the emulator normally.
    Tried:
    - adding a COM port
    - disabling all sound drivers ('cause I don't find a Microsoft UAA driver)
    - uninstalling/reinstalling
    - running prefs.exe and disabling IrDA (bluetooth was disabled by default)
    Haven't tried removing the network driver because my mobile app needs internet.
    So, three questions:
    1. how do I make it work?
    2. where do I find the crash logs? (Search can't find epocwind.out)
    3. do the changes I do in prefs.exe (in C:\S60\devices\S60_3rd_FP2_SDK\bin) take effect in the emulator?

Have you tried this?
    Well epocwind.out is usually there in the temp folder. But if you are not able to find it, then its not enabled (I dont quite know how to enable it from outside emulator, coz, AFAIK this setting can be enabled in the emulator preferences or something like that, which incidently may not be possible for you as your emulator exits quickly..I dont have SDK on this system to let you know exact..maybe it is possible to do it through Epoc.ini, but am not sure really)