Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Unhappy INVALID MANIFEST message and Netbeans 4.1

getting 'invalid manifest' message from 6600 PC Suite when trying to install midlet to phone. only having problem since switching to Netbeans 4.1. I have checked properties|app descriptor|attributes|jad & jar manifest attributes in Netbeans ( which work ok with other devices ).
    Also having problems integrating S60 SDK 1 into netbeans - followed work around on netbeans site - but wont compile - cant find any of the required classes - tried adding location to class path but didnt work. Any way point is I'm compliing it using the WTK defaultColorPhone as the selected device with CLDC set to 1.0 ( as required for 6600 ) - not sure whether this is causing the manifest inconsistency , but I dont see why - I'm only using MIDP 2.0 and CLDC 1.0 classes so it shouldnt matter ?
    In the 'old' sun Mobility suite you could manually set the CLDC / MIDP version no matter what emulator was currently selected - I cant see a way of doing this in netbeans - if the currently selected emulator for the current configuration only supports CLDC 1.1 for example but you only want to COMPILE in CLDC 1.0 - you cant do it ??
    Any ideas ?

Regular Contributor

Re: INVALID MANIFEST message and Netbeans 4.1

You can force specific CLDC and MIDP version using Project properties | Application descriptor | Attributes | Add | choose MicroEdition-Configuration or MicroEditionProfile from the drop-down menu and provide version.

In the latest release of NetBeans 5.0 - whatever emulator can be added, however if it is non-UEI emulator, command line and classpath have to be provided manually.

Regular Contributor

Thanks for the reply - I've spent a huge amount of time on this now and still havent solved it ! - Yes I found info on forcing the CLDC value in netbeans attributes properties and I opened the manifest after rebuilding and it looks to be correct - CLDC-1.0 & MIDP-2.0 for the 6600. But still getting 'invalid manifest' when downloading to phone. I can only assume the jad and jar manifests arent matching for some reason.
    Ive tried every S60 emulator going using Nokia developer suite - the early ones (ver 1 & 1.1.2 ) are giving me 'unsupported midp version' and the latest ( FP3 ) one is giving me 'unsupported cldc version' ! ( not counting the prototype SDK 2.0 which runs the app ok even if you alter the CLDC to version 1.2 ! - it obviously doesnt check for it ).
    As Ive already said - I cant check using the emulators from netbeans as I'm getting some sort of class path error.
    I'm about to download netbeans 5.0 now and give it a try.

Regular Contributor

Ok so Netbeans 5.0 made no difference - I unzipped the jar to inspect the manifest ( should have done this ages ago I guess ! ) but as it happens it looks ok to me. Can anybody verify that the jad and jar manifest are indeed ok ?

copy of jad:

MIDlet-1: MyMidlet, /MyMidletIcon.png,MyMidlet.MyMidlet
    MIDlet-Jar-Size: 96977
    MIDlet-Jar-URL: MyMidlet.jar
    MIDlet-Name: MyMidlet
    MIDlet-Permissions:
    MIDlet-Permissions-Opt:
    MIDlet-Vendor: MyCompany
    MIDlet-Version: 1.1.1
    MicroEdition-Configuration: CLDC-1.0
    MicroEdition-Profile: MIDP-2.0

copy of jar manifest:

Manifest-Version: 1.0
    Ant-Version: Apache Ant 1.6.5
    Created-By: 1.4.2-b28 (Sun Microsystems Inc.)
    MIDlet-1: MyMidlet, /MyMidletIcon.png,MyMidlet.MyMidlet
    MIDlet-Permissions:
    MIDlet-Permissions-Opt:
    MicroEdition-Configuration: CLDC-1.0
    MIDlet-Vendor: MyCompany
    MIDlet-Version: 1.1.1
    MIDlet-Name: MyMidlet
    MicroEdition-Profile: MIDP-2.0

The only things that are different are the order in which they appear and the addition of Ant-version and Created-by inside the manifest.
    Note that the CLDC-1.0 is forced using the approved netbeans method within the attributes properties page because the project configuration has the latest S60 FP3 emulator which does not support CLDC-1.0
    Still getting 'invalid manifest' when using 6600 PC suite to install the jar to the phone.

Some emulators are extremly strict on JAD/Manifest. For example my Motorola MPx220 supports MIDP-2.0 but in manifest and jad I have to declare MIDP-1.0 otherwise it fails to load with message "unsupported midp version". But if I declare MIDP-1.0 then even 2.0 features are working.
    Other problem might be in name collision between suite name and MIDlet name (attributes MIDlet-1 and MIDlet-Name) - both are named MyMidlet.
    I hope this will help.

Regular Contributor

Well it WAS the Jar manifest - but i'm not entirely sure why yet. After taking a crash course in Ant I managed to configure the build script to build the jad as normal but then use a copy of a previously working manifest from an older IDE ( sun mobility 2004Q3 ).
    The old manifest is as above but without AntVersion: createdBy: MIDlet-permissions and MIDlet-permissions-opt: attributes. I'm not sure what char code the old manifest used but Netbeans uses UTF-8. I'm assuming the problem lies with one of these differences.
    Thanks to those who helped.