Discussion Board

Hybrid View

Codewarrior v3.1 Symbian Project Wizard

Hi,

I have just installed the Series 60 3rd Edition SDK and Codewarrior v3.1.
    I have successfully managed to compile and install the helloworldbasic application on to a target phone.

Now, i try to create a new project from
    Codewarrior's Symbian Project Wizard.
    I folow the steps and create a project. Without making any code changes, i compile and run it on the emulator.
    When i build it for the target phone, it does not install on the phone and exits with these 2 errors.
    "The application is not compatible with the phone" and
    "Unable to install a protected application from an untrusted supplier"

I have followed the same steps for signing and installing this app, as i have with helloworldbasic.

Any ideas on how i can get the Symbian Project Wizard to work.

Regards,
    aja

Re: Codewarrior v3.1 Symbian Project Wizard

i see the same thing with gcce compiler building my own app. what's up with this msg???

Nokia Developer Expert

Since there is no S60 3rd edition-specific template in the project wizard, I would recommend copying one of the SDK examples, import that from MMP, and use that as the baseline for any new S60 3rd .EXE projects. That should work for you.

Regards,

Matt P.

Hi,

i was able to get rid this msg: "Unable to install a protected application from an untrusted supplier" by picking a UID3 from this range: 0xE0000000 - 0xEFFFFFFF (Development use only) according to https://www.symbiansigned.com/app/page/uidfaq.

I also noticed the helloworld sample uses UID3 in this range: 0xA0000000 - 0xAFFFFFFF (V9 unprotected UID allocations).

Now the device attempts to install the app (the progress bar comes up). But then there is a msg come up saying: "unable to install" without other clue. What's going on???

Note that i'm using gcc to get the helloworld working. I wonder if this is related to the security model, and it also brings up another question: suppose my app calls into some priviledged API and the app is signed with a self generated key/cert, then will the installer stops installing the app? or will the security platform stops me at run time? I guess I'm just not clear when the security check comes in - at install time or run time???

thanks

Nokia Developer Expert

Hi -You should be able to build a GCCE app for S60 3.0 phone with the CW 3.1 template wizard. Choose the S60 APP and make sure the option to generate a Platform Security APP is chosen when you go through the wizard pages. Then assuming you have a proper cert/key pair and you sign the sis file it should work. Go to symbiansigned.com if you need a development key/cert pair. I don't know if generally generating you own random key/cert pair works on any devices.

Cheers,
    Tim

Hi Bounaux!
    I am facing the exact same behaviour in carbide.c++. What did you do to make your example work after the unable to install error message? Are there any hidden UIDs I have to change or anything else?
    thanks!