Discussion Board

Red face Advice on MMS needed...

HEy guys, I really need some advice on this one. I have developed a J2ME application to enable the user to capture images and then to transmit it to a server that processes these images. That part is alright, capturing images that is. No obstacles there. BUt I facing difficulty with the server design. I intend to transmit images using MMS. Could some tell me how to go about such a design? I jst can't seem to find much info about it on the internet. I would appreciate if someone could refer me to some websites or books. Would really appreciate it. Thanks in advance...

Super Contributor

Re: Advice on MMS needed...

为什么不使用SOCKET(通过GPRS)直接把图像发送到服务端,因为MMS也同样需要GPRS的支持,并且服务器还需要一个MMS接收装置,开发起来会复杂一些吧.
    Beover1984
    -----------
    Doing what comes naturally

In english please

Super Contributor

Why doesn't use SOCKET (through GPRS) transmitting images to the server, I think use MMS also needs GPRS, and the server also needs a MMS receiving device, develops maybe more complex.
    Beover1984
    -----------
    Doing what comes naturally

Nokia Developer Expert

Hi andronicruz,

I agree with beover1984, in a sense that transmitting your image via standard HTTPConnection to a server-side servlet or script is much easier than dealing with MMS, for two reasons:

- Only 3rd. edition phones have support for WMA 2.0, which support sending MMS messages.
    - You'll have to parse the MMS on the server, which is not trivial.

You'll want to use MMS when you want to send your image directly to another phone, where that MMS will be received normally and placed in the Inbox.

Daniel

Talking Re: Advice on MMS needed...

Hey guys,

Thanks for the information. I realize now that it would be much easier to implement it by opening a HttpConnection and servlets and yea just goin through literature on MMS made me realize that it wasn't going to be a trivial matter when it comes to implementation. One question though. What sort of hardware requirements should i be looking at on the server side in relation to the modem? Thanks x 10000

Nokia Developer Expert

What do you mean with "in relation to the modem"? I'm not sure I understood your question.

Daniel

Please do correct me if I'm wrong, but once I load the midlet into a physical mobile device the images that are transmitted to the server requires a modem on the server-side to enable communication.

If so, I was enquiring about the sort of specifications for this wireless modem that I should be aware of.