Discussion Board

Polyphonic ringtones

Hello,
    1) Is there a secret code to increase the Volume of The polyphonic ringing tones in a 3510, if yes , could u provide me with the code
    2) I would like to compose polyphonic ringing tones for the 3510 , can someone please tell me what could be the best TOOL and would just a midi file with 4 channels ( Tracks) do the work , what can i do to enhance the quality of the tone inorder for it to be clear and loud.
    Please help me if anybody know about this,

Thanks

RE: Polyphonic ringtones

There are several things you need to do when composing SP-MIDI files to assure the loudest playback on the handset.

-Select an instrument and a register (where the melody is pitched) that are optimal
    -Make sure all your MIDI volumes (controller 7) are set to 127
    -set Expression controller to 127

You can also make melodies louder by doubling up multiple channels (though of course the maximum number of voices is four).

THOMAS DOLBY ROBERTSON
    Polyphonic SP-MIDI Ringtone group:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/polytones

Hi,

Thomas' way is one way of 'getting there'

We have found yet another way : transpose i.e. the 'voice' track by one or two octaves up. It's a pice of cake in Cakewalk. We usually use the piccolo flute transposed up by one or two octaves in a song and that delivers. It is annoyingly high but LOUD. The other tracks can be kept where they are.

We have found the lack of volume to be quite general in MIDI phones as a matter of fact. We have a Toshiba phone here too and it suffers the same problems.

Guido

I should have mentioned that you can make a melody louder by doubling it with one or more other parts.

To do this in your MIDI sequencer, copy your melody track and paste it onto a second track. Change the MIDI channel to a new one. You can try it just like this; or try detuning the second track using a pitch bend value all the way through--this gives certain sounds a bell-like quality, and turns a Piano into a Honky-tonk piano; raise or lower the new track by an octave; or alternatively, change the new track to a different sound patch. This will fatten the sound up and make it richer as well as louder. Some combinations sound quite original--look for different sounds, eg Piano and Flute. You can make the ringtone a lot louder this way, but beware of overloading the speaker, which will create distortion (and may blow it completely!)

I cover this and other composing techniques in my Polyphonic Ringtone Seminars.

THOMAS DOLBY ROBERTSON
    http://www.headspace.com/seminar2002.htm