Discussion Board

Exclamation How to edit resource file (.rss) in CW 3.1

I am new in CW ide. Having really tough time with it just to figure out some simple stuff. In this point, I could not really find how to edit a .rss file in cw ide? In the help file of cw says as follows:

=================================
    Opening the Resource Editor
    To open the Resource Editor:

1. Select Edit > Symbian Resources > Edit Resources for Target <TargetName> from the CodeWarrior menu bar

2. If more than one .resource file is attached to the target, the Project Resources window (Figure 6.1) appears:

a. Select a resource file in the Resource File list

b. Click OK

The Resource Editor window (Figure 6.2) appears. Figure 6.1 Project Resources window

Use the Resources page to manage the resource files associated with a project. Use it to add or remove resource files from the project, or change the properties of the selected resource file. The Resources page provides GUI level validation to ensure that any updates to the .resources file are valid.
    ==================================

Well, what should I do if I want to edit or update the contents of .rss file? Is it like, just go to the correct location, open it in any text editor and edit it? However I can drag and drop .rss file in IDE and edit it. But it disappear from the ide while I re-import the project .mmp file.

Is there any way to accomplish this trivial task with cw ide???

Angry Re: How to edit resource file (.rss) in CW 3.1

It should not be a difficult answer to my question for the cw user or professional either by saying "yes it is possible to edit the .rss file in cw" or "no it is not possible". By reading some of the thread, it seems nokia has employed some people to answer our basic questions at least (I can't expect an answer of any advanced questions). So it seems most of the time those people stay in coffee break .

Nokia Developer Expert

Re: How to edit resource file (.rss) in CW 3.1

1) Create your .rss files by hand.
    2) If it's a normal .rss file (application resources or caption resources), go to Symbian Resources / Edit Symbian Resources and add it to the "Resources" tab.
    3) It it's an aif .rss file, add it to the last tab ("AIF") in order to propertly create your .aif file during build.
    4) After you've added all the files, close the dialog, get back to the project screen, click "Resources" on the left, double-click "YOURPROJECTWINSWC.RESOURCES", this file will then open. Check your .rss files are there.
    5) Click the little ".H" icon, and you'll see a list of include files, where your .rss files will also be.
    6) Click and edit then at will; they're not going to disappear anymore.

Daniel

Thank you very much! It took a while to figure out the .h icon in editor window. I was mainly focusing on workspace window and all the menus, toolbar, etc. I think it should be a part of cw help file in symbian resource section.

Nokia Developer Expert

Stay tuned for the release of Carbide C++ IDE for Symbian. It is Eclipse-based and I found it much easier to work with than CW, specially because I have a background in Java.

Daniel

Does Carbide C++ IDE has a debugger? The earlier Eclipse plug-in for symbian did not have any dubugger. And I think symbian development is impossible with out it.

Nokia Developer Expert

Yes it does. And the code completion and general project organization are also much better

Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by dcrocha View Post
    1) Create your .rss files by hand.
    2) If it's a normal .rss file (application resources or caption resources), go to Symbian Resources / Edit Symbian Resources and add it to the "Resources" tab.
    3) It it's an aif .rss file, add it to the last tab ("AIF") in order to propertly create your .aif file during build.
    4) After you've added all the files, close the dialog, get back to the project screen, click "Resources" on the left, double-click "YOURPROJECTWINSWC.RESOURCES", this file will then open. Check your .rss files are there.
    5) Click the little ".H" icon, and you'll see a list of include files, where your .rss files will also be.
    6) Click and edit then at will; they're not going to disappear anymore.

Daniel
    What program uses?
    Please download link.

Nokia Developer Moderator

What are you asking about? Download link for what?

Btw, it is perfectly OK to start a new thread. There's little to gain from a thread closed on 2006-02-17 and which talks about a no longer existing CodeWarrior IDE for Symbian OS.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite