Discussion Board

Development tools intented for s60 phones

Is there some tool intented for symbian phones,and that allows the user to create and compile programs, like exe, sis and jar, or something like that,as a development tool?i've seen some applications that have a kind of console,with white background and black fonts,but it can't be used,cause it's closed when any key is pressed.I don't know if its some system feature,once i've seen that same thing appearing in more than one app.

Nokia Developer Champion

Re: Development tools intented for s60 phones

There are many development tools for Symbian phones. You can find them from the http://forum.nokia.com/ main page, even (see "Tools and SDKs" on the left side of the page).

See also http://www.symbian.com/developer

I meant some development tool intented for use with the phone,so that a user can write programs, compiling them, etc, only by using a symbian phone and not a pc.Is there some tool like this?I've taken a look at development section of this site,and once i couldn't realize whether there is some dev tool for use with symbian phones, i didn't try to download any of them, cause they are large files in size.So i decided to make this post to know if such tools really exist.Sorry if i wasn't so clear in the first post

Nokia Developer Champion

Well, you could use Python and text editor (like YEdit, or others), if you want to create/edit the apps directly on the phone: http://forum.nokia.com/python

You can't create C++ or Java apps on the phone; they must be developed on a PC.

That means i can't compile a program into a sis file without using a pc?And what about a exe file,can it be created with the phone only?Thanks for the info

Nokia Developer Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by alb3530
    That means i can't compile a program into a sis file without using a pc?And what about a exe file,can it be created with the phone only?Thanks for the info
    No chance. Consider that the include directory of Symbian SDKs is more than 10 MBs, ARMI libraries varying between 25 and 70 MBs depending on their version. And you also need a compiler, and the toolchain. It would be just huge, and I am not sure if editing C++ code on T9 would be a great experience...
    Although for the 92xx Communicator series, there was a JConsole (or JavaConsole, something), an interactive Java interpreter, actually it did not compile to bytecode either.

And if i had the correct code for a executable file already written at a paper leaf,only the compiler and notepad would be enough to do it,wouldn't they?

Nokia Developer Moderator

Check FAQ-1099 on Symbian.com (http://www3.symbian.com/faq.nsf/0/E9...56EDD0055D063). So you can develop for Symbian without an IDE, but not without a PC.

Thanks for the suggestions.I don't have a pc, only my phone, that's why i opened this topic.Anyway, I'll check out you link.