Discussion Board

Weird problem with CW 3.1???

Hi,

whenever I try to build (make) my project ti gives message as follows in "Errors & Warnings" window:
    ==============================
    tool exit status == 1

Errors caused tool to abort.

specified file 'myproject.o' not found
    ===============================
    But it fixes the problem if I build it from command prompt. So could anyone inform me what might be the problem???

Nokia Developer Expert

Re: Weird problem with CW 3.1???

If you go to the symbian common pref you can log the command lines to the Errors & Warnings window. See what command it is that isn't finding the .o file. If you still can't figure it out, post the command-line cuasing the error to the news group.

Cheers,
    Tim

Thanks for the suggestion. I logged the build text according to your mentioned way. But I dont know where is news group to post this log. Could you tell me how to post in news group? I am posting those log here right now:
    mwccsym2 -c -g -wchar_t off -align 4 -warnings on -w nohidevirtual, nounusedexpr -msgstyle gcc -enum int -str pool -exc ms
    -trigraphs on -O0 -inline off -nostdinc -d __SYMBIAN32__ -d __SERIES60_30__ -d __SERIES60_3X__ -d __CW32__ -d __WINS__ -d __WINSCW__
    -d __EXE__ -d _DEBUG -d _UNICODE -d __SUPPORT_CPP_EXCEPTIONS__ -prefix C:\Symbian\9.1\S60_3rd\EPOC32\include\variant\Symbian_OS_v9.1.hrh
    -i- -i "C:\codeWarrior_proj\MyProject\inc" -i "C:\codeWarrior_proj\MyProject\sis" -i "C:\Symbian\9.1\S60_3rd\EPOC32\BUILD\codeWarrior_proj\MyProject\group\MyProject\WINSCW"
    -i "C:\codeWarrior_proj\MyProject\group" -i "C:\codeWarrior_proj\MyProject\src" -i "C:\Symbian\9.1\S60_3rd\EPOC32\include" -i
    "C:\Symbian\9.1\S60_3rd\epoc32\include\variant" -i "C:\Symbian\9.1\S60_3rd\EPOC32\RELEASE\WINSCW\UDEB" -i "C:\Program Files\Nokia\CodeWarrior
    for Symbian v3.1\Symbian_Support\Win32-x86 Support\Libraries\Win32 SDK" "C:\codeWarrior_proj\MyProject\src\MyProjectContainer.cpp"
    -o "C:\Symbian\9.1\S60_3rd\EPOC32\BUILD\codeWarrior_proj\MyProject\group\MyProject\WINSCW\MyProject_Data\WINSCW_UDEB\ObjectCode\MyProjectContainer.o"
    Project: MyProject.mcp, Target: WINSCW UDEB, Source File: MyProjectContainer.cpp

mwccsym2 -c "C:\Symbian\9.1\S60_3rd\EPOC32\BUILD\codeWarrior_proj\MyProject\group\MyProject\WINSCW\MyProject_Data\WINSCW_UDEB\ObjectCode\MyProjectContainer.o"
    -progress
    Project: MyProject.mcp, Target: WINSCW UDEB, Source File: MyProjectContainer.cpp

mwldsym2.exe -msgstyle gcc -stdlib "C:\Symbian\9.1\S60_3rd\EPOC32\RELEASE\WINSCW\UDEB\EEXE.LIB" -m "?_E32Bootstrap@@YGXXZ"
    -subsystem windows -g "C:\Symbian\9.1\S60_3rd\EPOC32\RELEASE\WINSCW\UDEB\euser.lib" "C:\Symbian\9.1\S60_3rd\EPOC32\RELEASE\WINSCW\UDEB\apparc.lib"
    "C:\Symbian\9.1\S60_3rd\EPOC32\RELEASE\WINSCW\UDEB\cone.lib" "C:\Symbian\9.1\S60_3rd\EPOC32\RELEASE\WINSCW\UDEB\eikcore.lib" "C:\Symbian\9.1\S60_3rd\EPOC32\RELEASE\WINSCW\UDEB\avkon.lib"
    "C:\Symbian\9.1\S60_3rd\EPOC32\RELEASE\WINSCW\UDEB\gdi.lib" "C:\Symbian\9.1\S60_3rd\EPOC32\RELEASE\WINSCW\UDEB\eikcoctl.lib" "C:\Symbian\9.1\S60_3rd\EPOC32\RELEASE\WINSCW\UDEB\eikctl.lib"
    "C:\Symbian\9.1\S60_3rd\EPOC32\RELEASE\WINSCW\UDEB\etext.lib" "C:\Symbian\9.1\S60_3rd\EPOC32\RELEASE\WINSCW\UDEB\form.lib" "C:\Symbian\9.1\S60_3rd\EPOC32\RELEASE\WINSCW\UDEB\uiklaf.lib"
    "C:\Symbian\9.1\S60_3rd\EPOC32\RELEASE\WINSCW\UDEB\bafl.lib" "C:\Symbian\9.1\S60_3rd\EPOC32\RELEASE\WINSCW\UDEB\PlatformEnv.lib"
    "C:\Symbian\9.1\S60_3rd\EPOC32\RELEASE\WINSCW\UDEB\CommonDialogs.lib" -o "C:\Symbian\9.1\S60_3rd\EPOC32\RELEASE\WINSCW\UDEB\MyProject.exe"
    -noimplib -l "C:\Symbian\9.1\S60_3rd\EPOC32\BUILD\codeWarrior_proj\MyProject\group\MyProject\WINSCW\MyProject_Data\WINSCW_UDEB\ObjectCode"
    -search "MyProject.o" "MyProjectApplication.o" "MyProjectAppView.o" "MyProjectAppUi.o" "MyProjectDocument.o" "MyProjectView.o"
    "MyProjectContainer.o" "MyProject_UID_.o"

tool exit status == 1
    Project: MyProject.mcp, Target: WINSCW UDEB

Errors caused tool to abort.

Specified file 'MyProject.o' not found
    Note that I can build the same project without any error in command prompt.

Nokia Developer Expert

That is quite bizarre. The only way I know this could happen is if you go an delete the file "MyProject.o" from:

"C:\Symbian\9.1\S60_3rd\EPOC32\BUILD\codeWarrior_proj\MyProject\group\MyProject\WINSCW\MyProject_Data\WINSCW_UDEB\ObjectCode"

Couple things to check. 1) Does MyProject.o exist in your project. If so compile it again. 2) If not, re-import your project (Project > Re-Import MMP).
    When you compile MyProject.c (just right-click and say compile). Then go to the output dir (above) and check for the .o file.

This should help you figure out what's happening to that file.

Cheers,
    Tim

Hi,

I did it many times. I deleted MyProject.o, then only compile it MyProject.cpp, it creats MyProject.o. But when I build (or make or press F7), that error message comes. Obviously there is something worng with cw 3.1 IDE. Because everything goes well with command promt, but not form IDE.

Nokia Developer Expert

I was able to basically get the same command-line importing an example. I can only think of a few things that could be your problem and for you to try:

1) Is you 'mwldsym2' version 3.2.3 (I'm using b451).
    2) After linking, check the -search dir again and make sure the .o file still exists.
    3) Re-Import the project (Project > Re-Import) but don't copy temp files to the epoc32\build dir.
    4) Import a standard HelloWorld S60Ex example. Does that work.
    5) Try to import a S60 APP stationery wizard project for Platform Security. Does that work.

Here's my test results.

=== TEST1 Using Local Build Dir ===
    mwldsym2.exe -msgstyle gcc -stdlib "C:\Symbian\9.1\S60_3rd\EPOC32\RELEASE\WINSCW\UDEB\EEXE.LIB" -m "?_E32Bootstrap@@YGXXZ"
    -subsystem windows -g "C:\Symbian\9.1\S60_3rd\EPOC32\RELEASE\WINSCW\UDEB\euser.lib" "C:\Symbian\9.1\S60_3rd\EPOC32\RELEASE\WINSCW\UDEB\apparc.lib"
    "C:\Symbian\9.1\S60_3rd\EPOC32\RELEASE\WINSCW\UDEB\cone.lib" "C:\Symbian\9.1\S60_3rd\EPOC32\RELEASE\WINSCW\UDEB\eikcore.lib" "C:\Symbian\9.1\S60_3rd\EPOC32\RELEASE\WINSCW\UDEB\avkon.lib"
    "C:\Symbian\9.1\S60_3rd\EPOC32\RELEASE\WINSCW\UDEB\gdi.lib" -o "C:\Symbian\9.1\S60_3rd\EPOC32\RELEASE\WINSCW\UDEB\MyProject.exe"
    -noimplib -l "C:\Users\MyProject\group\MyProject_Data\WINSCW_UDEB\ObjectCode" -search "MyProject.o" "MyProjectApplication.o"
    "MyProjectAppView.o" "MyProjectAppUi.o" "MyProjectDocument.o" "MyProject_UID_.o"

=== TEST 2 Using epoc32\build dir ===
    "C:\Symbian\9.1\S60_3rd\EPOC32\RELEASE\WINSCW\UDEB\gdi.lib" -o "C:\Symbian\9.1\S60_3rd\EPOC32\RELEASE\WINSCW\UDEB\MyProject.exe"
    -noimplib -l "C:\Symbian\9.1\S60_3rd\EPOC32\BUILD\Users\MyProject\group\MyProject\WINSCW\MyProject_Data\WINSCW_UDEB\ObjectCode"
    -search "MyProject.o" "MyProjectApplication.o" "MyProjectAppView.o" "MyProjectAppUi.o" "MyProjectDocument.o" "MyProject_UID_.o"

===== END TEST ===

First of all, I could not understand what did u mean by "Is you 'mwldsym2' version 3.2.3 (I'm using b451)." What version are you asking?

No way! I gave up. All other app works whether I create a project by wizard or import a .mmp file from sdk example. I decided to create a new project and copy my codes to the new project. It must be either something wrong with IDE or my own mistake. But the chance of my own mistake is very less, as because I can comple it perfectly from command prompt. Well, thanks anyway!