Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Question graphic content over a video?

Hallo All!

Is it possible to lay a graphic layer over a video layer in a mobile java application - like buttons over the the video? I will appreciate VERY MUCH your answer!

Best Regards

Nina
    Edit/Delete Message

Re: graphic content over a video?

Hi,

The video control has two display modes: It can draw itself in a MIDP low-level UI Canvas object, or it can be added to a MIDP high-level UI Form as an Item.

If you're using a Form you can use the following

append((Item)(videoControl.initDisplayMode(VideoControl.USE_GUI_PRIMITIVE,null)));

and append other items as well. But note that this is not going to put your item "over the video".

It is not clear for me what you meant when you wrote "graphic layer" and "video layer" but perhaps this is what you're looking for.

Also, take a look at the javax.microedition.media.control.GUIControl interface for more.

BR,

Nokia Developer Expert

Hi ninku6a,

The capability of layering images over other images and over video is provided by JSR 234 (Advanced Multimedia Supplements); this API, along with the javadocs, is already available for use with the Prototype SDK 4.0, so you can download it and play with it.

I don't know of any phone supporting it for the time being, but I'm very sure it will be available in the next S60 3.0 devices.

Hope it helps.

Daniel

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by dcrocha
    Hi ninku6a,

The capability of layering images over other images and over video is provided by JSR 234 (Advanced Multimedia Supplements); this API, along with the javadocs, is already available for use with the Prototype SDK 4.0, so you can download it and play with it.

I don't know of any phone supporting it for the time being, but I'm very sure it will be available in the next S60 3.0 devices.

Hope it helps.

Daniel
    Thanx Daniel,

Since I am new to mobile programming, another maybe stupid question: can I still develop a fully capable test application on a pc emulator using JSR 234, resp. Prototype SDK 4.0, eventhough no mobile phone stilll supports it?

Best Regards

Nina

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by juarezjunior
    Hi,

The video control has two display modes: It can draw itself in a MIDP low-level UI Canvas object, or it can be added to a MIDP high-level UI Form as an Item.

If you're using a Form you can use the following

append((Item)(videoControl.initDisplayMode(VideoControl.USE_GUI_PRIMITIVE,null)));

and append other items as well. But note that this is not going to put your item "over the video".

It is not clear for me what you meant when you wrote "graphic layer" and "video layer" but perhaps this is what you're looking for.

Also, take a look at the javax.microedition.media.control.GUIControl interface for more.

BR,
    Hi and thx for yours answer!

What du you mean with "not over the video"? With a graphical layer I mean drawing additionally graphical components over the video which is runnig, like - lets say - buttons on the FOREGROUND of the video...

Hope,this makes my question a little bit more clear..

Nina

Nokia Developer Expert

Hi ninku6,

Yes you can put things such as images on top of the video screen and yes, you can use the Prototype SDK 4.0 (which supports JSR 234) to develop your test application, even though no phone supports it yet. As soon as any phone is announced with the JSR, you can just install your application on it and test.

Daniel

Regular Contributor

Thx Daniel, U made my day!!! :-)

Regular Contributor

Hi!
    I read the specs for the JSR 234, especially the ImageOverlay one but I don't see any callback functions for like detecting when a frame has changed or something like that..How could I then controll when to lay an image over the video and when to delete it (supposing I want to do that)?
    Thx in advance
    Nina

Nokia Developer Expert

Hm, I don't think this particular capability is available with JSR 234.

Daniel

Regular Contributor

Thx Daniel although this is a bad news :-(
    But what does it mean, then, using an image overlay?? Does it mean, u have the same image over the video, the whole time the video plays?