Discussion Board

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

carbide.c++ doesnt detect sdks

when i run carbide.c++, it doesnt show me any sdks in the sdk-list.
    any1 knows why
    or can some1 tell me or giv me the link to supported sdks

thanks

Super Contributor

Re: carbide.c++ doesnt detect sdks

Hi,

If you know you have SDKs installed but they are not enabled, it is quite likely that you have only WINS SDKs. Carbide.c++ only supports WINSCW SDKs, so download the WINSCW flavour. Also note that no Symbian DevKits or similar are supported, only listed public SDKs.

You can find the list of supported SDKs in the pop-up browser window during installation, in the pdf installation guide and in the On-line help.

Hi,

I have standard 3.0 SDK installed to substed drive but Carbide .c++ does not find it. How the SDK finding should work? At least the EPOCROOT that can be seen in SDK preferences does not have anything to do with system variables seen in managed build window.

Super Contributor

Hi,

Pls check the release notes, SDK's on subst'ed drives are not supported by Express.

Thanks. I've been reading it. I guess you were referring to line "Building on subst'ed drives is not supported Make sure your SDK and Carbide tools are installed on the same path." My 3.0 SDK is installed <diskname>:\Symbian\9.1\S60_3rd which was substed to different drive. I removed the subst, but it did not change the situation. Carbide is installed to <diskname>:\Program Files. Strange thing is that Carbide finds my installation of 2.6 SDK which is in <diskname>:\Symbian\8.0a\S60_2nd_FP2 and substed as another drive as well.

Super Contributor

Strange, and you are using the Final 3.0, not the Beta?

Yes, I'm trying to use "real" 3.0.

Nokia Developer Expert

Go to Window > Preferences > Carbide.c++ > SDK Preferences. What do you see? Carbide will scan your devices.xml at start-up and make an internal SDK list. This is what you see. SDKs posted in red are the ones that either 1) Aren't supported or 2) Don't have an existing EPOCROOT.

If you satisfy these requirements, post your devices.xm content.

Cheers,
    Tim

Nokia Developer Expert

Are you looking at the Build Configurations view to determine if any SDKs are detected? That view only lists the supported SDKs for the currently selected project. If no projects are open it will be blank.

Have you tried to import a sample project from the SDK? When a project is imported, the supported SDKs for that project will then show up in the Build Configurations view.

Regards,

Matt P.

i'm facing a similiar problem: while carbide smoothly installs itself and detects SDKs for S60 and UIQ3-beta2 under windows xp, it doesn't detect any (of the two) SDK under windows 2003 server.

'devices' reports both SDKs, however there are strange things going on with SDKConfig: it doesn't recognise the SDKs when started by clicking (start->programs...), but does so when started in the console.

any hints appreciated, TIA,

best regards,
    Volker.

Nokia Developer Expert

Quote Originally Posted by volker.eckert
    it doesn't detect any (of the two) SDK under windows 2003 server.
    Hi - Can you be more specific about the symptoms here? I'm interested to to know what diagnositic info you are getting that tells you the SDKs aren't recognized. Sounds like a Windows 2003 specific problem

Also, for more info, pull down the PDE Error Log (View) and see if there's anything reported there relating to this issue.

Tim

maybe you didn't install the right sdk.

i'm new to symbian myself and i first downloaded Series60_v21 and then realized it works for visual studio 2003. and since i have vs2005 installed, i probably can't use the IDE as a starter.

So i switched to carbide c++ realized the first SDK i installed doesn't work - the same symtom as you described. So installed Series60_v21_CW and then i was able to create a helloworld app.

so i think that wins and winscw env variable is probably causing problems, and i'm sure there are more to it that i just don't know yet.

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by bounaux
    maybe you didn't install the right sdk.

So i switched to carbide c++ realized the first SDK i installed doesn't work - the same symtom as you described. So installed Series60_v21_CW and then i was able to create a helloworld app.

so i think that wins and winscw env variable is probably causing problems, and i'm sure there are more to it that i just don't know yet.
    Yes, pls note that Symbian OS SDKs from Nokia come in two "flavours", WINS and WINSCW. The difference between the two is that the WINS variant is intended to work with Microsoft compilers etc while the WINSCW is supposed to work with Nokia/CodeWarrior compilers et al.

Carbide.c++ Express comes with the Nokia/CW compilers and will not work with the WINS SDK as it is not able to call any MS compilers. So if you are moving from VS to Carbide, you will need to download and install the WINSCW flavour for SDKs for which both exist.

Note that for S60 2nd Ed FP3 and S60 3rd Ed, only the WINSCW flavour exists.

Hey people

I have some experiences in relation to this that I just wanted to share. When I installed Carbide for the first time I had the following SDKs installed:

S60 2nd Edition, FP3, s60_2nd_sdk_fp3.zip
    S60 2nd Edition, FP2, s60_2nd_fp2_sdk.zip
    S60 2nd Edition, FP1, S60_SDK_v21c_CW.zip

Carbide found all these and allowed me to use them all. After installing Carbide I installed:

S60 2nd Edition, s60_sdk_v2_0_CW.zip

After doing this I can ONLY use the S60 2nd Edition SDK. I tried uninstalling reinstalling both Carbide and SDKs without any other result. Does Carbide simply not work with all 4 SDKs installed or what? These are the SDKs that Carbide says it supports in the readme_sdks.html of the install dir.

/Anders

Super Contributor

Did you do a "Rescan Now" in the Preferences -> Carbide.c++ -> SDK Preferences?