Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

MACRO keyword in .mmp, Carbide

I don't know if this is a known problem, but the .mmp importer in Carbide didn't seem to parse the MACRO keyword, I had to manually add the relevant defines in the project settings later.

// Martin

Super Contributor

Re: MACRO keyword in .mmp, Carbide

Hi,

It is not a problem, it is a "feature". Sorry, but you need to add the MACROs manually.

Regular Contributor

> It is not a problem, it is a "feature"

will that "feature" be added in the next carbide release?

I also strongly encourage you to support the MACRO keyword. Not having support for it makes using Carbide difficult for projects that support multiple Symbian OS and S60/S80/S90 versions.

It also appears that Carbide doesn't define EKA2 when preprocessing MMP files for importing on EKA2-based SDKs (i.e. S60 3rd edition). This makes it hard to share parts of MMP files between platforms, something that turns out to be quite useful with multiplatform projects.

Remember that MMP file import isn't something that has to be done once, but at least in the current setup people store and release MMP files, not Carbide workspaces. Thus every developer needs to manually add macros to project settings, which makes the process error-prone.

Super Contributor

Hi,

Yes, we do acknowledge the need for supporting MACROs during import, but you should also note that with the introduction of the Carbide family, the build process is no longer dependent on the .MMP file and we hope that people will adopt the new way as this is compatible with how IDEs have been designed to work. Also assigning MACROs correctly from withit very complex IFDEFs will never be very easy during Import, so I am not sure if you will be able to do that in all cases.

And let's be very clear about it, you can already fully use MACROs to control the builds in Express - in the way that Eclipse/CDT have intended MACROs to be used, ie via settings in the build configs. Once you have imported your project, you can assign whatever macros you want to each build config giving you very fine-grained control over the building, in a clearner way - I would argue - than with the .MMP file.

Also when working with an IDE (even though this is not in the scope of Express yet) the recommended way to share projects between Carbide users will be via some form of source code repository, not via .mmp files.

Express is not targeting team use, but with Developer this will be better supported.

Hello

I am quite happy dumping .MMP files in favour of express. I am actually looking forward to it.

However, somebody needs to tell me how to achieve the following:-

1. Overnight builds from the command line

2. Dynamic configuration via build flags (MACROS).

To explain a bit better: I am porting a OS indep. framework, which is highly configurable and depends on hundreds of build flags. The OS independent part of the framework is built via a set of makefiles dynamically generated and controlled by build flags. We have a file defining build flags for every build type of the framework. We type something like "build my_file" and off it goes.

I am in charge of the symbian port of such framework.

Up until now I injected the macros on the fly into MMP files. What is the equivalent way of doing this without MMP files?