Discussion Board

Hybrid View

Converting .mmp to GNU make

I have a .mmp that I can import and build in CodeWarrior 3.1 for Symbian. However, I need to convert the .mmp to GNU make. I have looked at the sdk2unix information, but I need to build it on the Win32 platform under Cygwin. I have done a ton of searches on Google and have not found anything that is really applicable. I can't believe that I am the first person to try to do this. :-)

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Nokia Developer Expert

Re: Converting .mmp to GNU make

If you're just trying to build from the command-line instead of from inside CodeWarrior, all you should need is your .mmp file and a bld.inf that references it. Then running

bldmake bldfiles

should generate your makefile for you.

Regards,

Matt P.

Quote Originally Posted by mpinsonneault
    If you're just trying to build from the command-line instead of from inside CodeWarrior, all you should need is your .mmp file and a bld.inf that references it.

Matt P.
    Thanks Matt. We are trying to do something a little different. We have a build system standardized on GNU make and Ant for all our client and server platforms. I have used the S60 3rd edition SDK command line tools to build, but it doesn't provide the flexibility to fit in with our existing tools and standards and thus we want to convert the build to GNU make to gain total control over the build process.

Thanks for your help,

Tekcor

Nokia Developer Expert

As an alternative, you may want to look at using the 'extension makefile' feature of the symbian build tools, which allows you to integrate custom make steps in the build process (bld.inf). This, obviously as you probably know this, has the advantage of being easier to maintain if changes in the symbian toolchain occur than when creating a permanent GNU make file from the mmp.

On a sidenote, I have used the ANT system with symbian build tools with success before.

see SDK Docs » Symbian OS v9.1 » Symbian OS Tools And Utilities » Build tools reference » bld.inf file syntax » Extension makefiles

Hope this helps :-)

ADDED LATER: you can create GNU make files by executing makmake

ie. makmake helloworldbasic.mmp ARMV5, makmake helloworldbasic.mmp GCCE etc..

EVEN LATER: I just looked at the HelloWorldBasic example in the 3.0 SDK an it uses the extension makefile system to build resources. If you look at the bld.inf file hasa line 'gnumakefile icons_scalable_dc.mk' this should give you a good idea how it works in practice.
    Last edited by billbonney; 2006-03-06 at 23:07.

Nokia Developer Expert

1) At the location of your bld.inf file type the following on a command-line:

bldmake bldfiles

2) Look under $(EPOCROOT)\build\

for the resultant makefiles.

However, calling something like "abld build <target>" from ANT would be the preferred solution.

Cheers,
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by timm-ah

2) Look under $(EPOCROOT)\build\
    Thanks Bill and Tim. I have examined the generated make files ... I think initially we will generate and use the makefiles to build with some of our own post build processing with Ant or GNU make. Someday will probably completely break away from the generated makefiles and write our own with calls to the Symbian tool chain.

Thanks,

Tekcor

I am having a similar problem with trying to use BLDMAKE under cygwin. The perl scripts used to generate the build environment fail horribly when attempting to use the cygwin perl interpreter.

As a feature request: It should not be that much of a change to add cygwin perl support into the distributed perl scripts. The tools which require Windows paths can be wraped with perl/bash scripts that call 'cygpath' (or not depending on the platform) to convert the cygwin paths for the window tools, or the other way around.

Using this, you could add bash scripts to the tool directory to allow cygwin to use the SDK properly. The added bonus of this being that you allow your build scripts to run under linux and MacOSX as well as Cygwin without the wrapper scripts.

If you want to be extra funky you could wite a java bld.inf/proj.mmp parser using antlr or similar java lex/yacc type tool, to auto create ant build.xml files. Or even use these to create a symbian ant build task. This would be an uber portable build system.
    Last edited by gotan; 2006-05-20 at 00:43.