Discussion Board

Application hardcoded values - Config. file with SIS file?

Hi,

My application has lots of hardcoded values which i want to put it in a config. file and then package it along with SIS file. How can i implement this for Symbian C++ application?

Thanks,
    symbian_ravi

Re: Application hardcoded values - Config. file with SIS file?

This is nothing special in Symbian. Just create your config file manually. Then Create your sis file with your config file and then read the config file programmatically and do what you want from the read value of the config file.

However this is good idea to generate the config file programmatically. Otherwise, if that config file is deleted somehow, your app will be become useless. So you may create the config file once when your app is executed for the first time. Later on, you will check every time is that config file exists or not. If it is exist, just go farther in your app. If it is not exist, create one again.

Quote Originally Posted by madsum
    This is nothing special in Symbian. Just create your config file manually. Then Create your sis file with your config file and then read the config file programmatically and do what you want from the read value of the config file.

However this is good idea to generate the config file programmatically. Otherwise, if that config file is deleted somehow, your app will be become useless. So you may create the config file once when your app is executed for the first time. Later on, you will check every time is that config file exists or not. If it is exist, just go farther in your app. If it is not exist, create one again.
    Thanks, madsum.

Regards,
    symbian_ravi

Regular Contributor

Actually, I believe it's not good idea to create the file programmatically for the first time. The config file should be copied to the device using the sis-file, because this way the application installer will delete the file when the program is uninstalled.

There are someway to remove all generated files by the app as long as those files location are same as installed app location. Right now I just can't remember it. Config files should be generated by app if possible. Otherwise the app become useless if the config file gets corrupted or deleted somehow. There are many other advantages also.
    Do it now! Today will be yesterday tomorrow - MadSum