Discussion Board

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Location api jsr 179 and Bluetooth GPS

hi,
    using jsr 179, is possible to read the coordinates from an external bluetooth GPS connected to the phone?

what is the difference between "location api" and "location acquisition api"?

Re: Location api jsr 179 and Bluetooth GPS

Yes. Check that:

Accessing GPS receiver from mobile phone via bluetooth
    http://www.hcilab.org/documents/tuto...GPS/BT_GPS.htm

If you're talking about JSR-179 I don't know what this difference is.
    http://www.forum.nokia.com/java/jsr179#jsr179

From the spec:

"Description
    This document defines the JSR-179 Location API for the Java 2 Platform, Micro Edition (J2METM) version 1.0.
    Preface
    This specification defines the JSR-179 Location API for J2ME, version 1.0.
    Overview
    This specification defines a J2ME Optional Package that enables mobile location-based applications for resource limited devices (referred to as ’terminals’ in the following). The API is designed to be a compact and generic API that produces information about the present geographic location of the terminal to Java applications.This API covers obtaining information about the present geographic location and orientation of the
    terminal and accessing a database of known landmarks stored in the terminal.
    The Location API for J2ME is designed as an Optional Package that can be used with many J2ME Profiles. The minimum platform required by this API is the J2ME Connected, Limited Device Configuration (CLDC) v1.1.
    The API can also be used with the J2ME Connected Device Configuration (CDC). (Note that due to using the floating point datatypes in this API, it can’t be used with CLDC v1.0.)"

BR

Has anyone actually tried this? I am also very curious to know if this would work.

Hi randy_simon,

I haven't tried it but i'm aware of JSR-179 capabilities. I live in Brazil and it's hard to do anything related to location here nowadays...

For example, we had a Siemens CX-65 device that had support for JSR-179 a long time ago but the operators were not collaborating to provide LBS support here

Sun's WTK 2.3 has a cool External Event Generator that we can use to perform tests. Use it if you have the same problems.

Anyway, I'd like to hear more about the JSR-179 support on Nokia devices.

Hi,

Just complementing, here location is possible through an external GPS module, no operator support anyway.

Hey, thanks for the replies.

I found this other thread on the Sun Java forum and it looks like what I want to do is not possible.

http://forum.java.sun.com/thread.jsp...hreadID=715315

Hi randy_simon,

You're welcome! Just now i noticed that i replied to the wrong thread.

Although this one was also related to JSR-179, I thought I was replying to the thread below, which is related to the NMEA extra info:

http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...ad.php?t=76359

I'm multitasking here, sorry for this confusion

BR

Just as a future reference, we can also select Tools, Utilities in Nokia Prototype SDK 4.0 Emulators (208x208 and 240x320). The LBS arguments can be sent then. Good Nokia SDK!
    Last edited by juarezjunior; 2006-03-19 at 17:08.

Accessing GPS receiver from mobile phone via bluetooth
    http://www.hcilab.org/documents/tut..._GPS/BT_GPS.htm
    I found this other thread on the Sun Java forum and it looks like what I want to do is not possible.
    It seems like you guys given up on this item.
    I'll have another go on this. The url that juarezjunior gave seem to work so far. I haven't tested it yet with a external bluetooth gps. I'll test this the next week. I'll give an update if it worked.

Super Contributor

I quickly tested external Bluetooth GPS module (Nokia LD-1W) with a simple midlet and I was getting the coordinates from the GPS module just fine. I did not write any special bluetooth related code in the midlet. Of course I needed to select the correct bluetooth device when the application was starting.

Hartti

Hi Hartti,

Great to know about your experience with Nokia Nokia LD-1W module, thank you

I've searched its specs, seems to be a good module. Here here specs -
    http://www.nokiausa.com/nokia_access...,00.html#specs

GPS antenna Internal and external antenna connector (MCX, 3.0 V)
    Accuracy Typical ±5-10 m, maximum ±25 m (95% open-sky)
    Update rate 1 s
    Acquisition times Cold start approximately 50 s
    Warm start approximately 35 s
    Hot start approximately 8 s
    Position format WGS84
    Operating temperature 14°F to 104°F
    Interface Bluetooth 1.1 specification, Serial Port Profile, NMEA 0183 v. 3.01 (with proprietary extension sentences)

BR,

Juarez Junior

I quickly tested external Bluetooth GPS module (Nokia LD-1W) with a simple midlet and I was getting the coordinates from the GPS module
    How did you make this midlet or was it included with the module

Grtz,

Dj Kat
    Last edited by Dj Kat; 2006-06-13 at 01:20.

nokia phones are jsr 179 enabled. But from where hey get the actual co-ordinaes? do they use any web service ...or the use bluetooth connectivity to a gps reciever????

Super Contributor

S60 3rd Edition phones have location API (JSR-179) you can use a bluetooth GPS receiver with your location MIDlet with those phones.
    Basically after you ask the system to provide you with a LocationProvider, the system also looks for bluetooth devices if it does not find anything suitable for the Criteria provided.

Hartti

Hi Hartti

So, if I understand you right, a S60 3rd Edition device (I've got a N80) doesn't feature a location provider device/implementation out-of-the-box. Meaning it is necessary to connect an external location device like a bluetooth GPS receiver to receive any location data.

Well, I'd like to implement an "internal" location provider implementation that uses WLAN signal strength to determine the actual location of the device. Is that possible? And if yes, can you give me some hint how to do that?

Thanks in advance
    Ruth