Discussion Board

Unhappy problem with N90 mp4 files

hi
    I have N90 ,its realplayer plays mp4 files created by its cam but when I convert any file to mp4 format it dosnt work ,could you help me to find a software able to work without problems

Super Contributor

Re: problem with N90 mp4 files

Im using this converter and that works fine with N90;

http://www.tomdownload.com/multimedi...eg_encoder.htm

I'm getting similar problems with MP4 files on some Series 40 MPEG-4 phones (6125, 6270 and 6280). I tried this coder but the palyback quality is still very poor (low framerate and losing audio sync within a few seconds). Can you help me by supplying the encoder settings you recommend?

Super Contributor

I recommend you have a look at the document "Video_And_Streaming_In_Nokia_Devices_v3_0_en.pdf", that can be found on www.forum.nokia.com, how the encoding settings should be set for each device.

Quote Originally Posted by damn_delicious
    I recommend you have a look at the document "Video_And_Streaming_In_Nokia_Devices_v3_0_en.pdf", that can be found on www.forum.nokia.com, how the encoding settings should be set for each device.
    Yeah, I'd seen that before but I believe the phones I'm looking at are s40 3rd edition and there's no specs for those and I've yet to find a combination of framerate and bitrate that don't stuter and lose sync very easily. The phones have great screens and it's a shame that there's no way to take advantage of them. The 3gpp file is just terrible. As there are no videos supplied with the phone, I'm tempted to think that it doesn't work properly and it's a known problem.

Anyone know the settings that work?

Well, I wasted hours on trial and error and it looks like the best I can do for MPEG-4 on the nokia 6270 (and 6280) using ImTOO encoder is:
    Video -
    Size: 176x144
    Data rate: 48kbps
    Frame rate: 10fps
    Audio -
    Data rate: 16kbps
    Sample rate: 22050
    Format: 1ch mono

You can vary the frame rate to achieve the best balance between image quality and smoothness, 5 is the lowest and 15 the highest. 10 and 12.5 aren't too bad.

The audio can be mono or stereo and the only real difference is that the stereo has slightly higher chance of dropping.

But it's a disgrace that the performance of this well featured and fairly high priced phone is so awful. No wonder Nokia don't want to promote it! Really is at the limit to say that it supports MPEG-4.

try using yasa 3gp video converter to convert video to mp4 file
    http://www.yasasoft.com/3gpvideoconverter/

Quote Originally Posted by damn_delicious

I've tried using ImTOO MPEG Encoder as well but I still can't get the MP4 video that i've converted to play in my N90. Can you share the settings that you used? I've also tried different settings but the player always says "Unable to play clip".

Thanks.

I've been using freeware tools to encode .mp4 files for N70.

First I encode the video with VirtualDubMod to XviD (disabling qpel, packet bitsream and b-frames features as they are not supported by N70's RealPlayer). I use N70's native resolution 208x176 and bitrate about 100-200 kbps for encoding.

Then I encode audio to AAC with program BeLight (using Nero's AAC-dlls). N70 Real Player supports both HE- and LO-profile AAC-files (HE-profile is tuned for low bitrate and LO-profile for high bitrate - 128 kbit/s or more).

Then I multiplex XviD avi and AAC-audio to MP4-container with Yamb.

Yamb also allows to multiplex MP3-audio to MP4-container but N70's Real Player doesn't support MP4-files with MP3 audio.

Resulting files play fine on N70. Even with 25 fps. While playing the file on Real Player you can enter fullscreen playback by pressing the number 2 from phones keypad.

Quote Originally Posted by teura666

please give me more details what kind of mp4 do you use... i have an n90 to and I can't get any mp4 files to work

Smile Re: problem with N90 mp4 files

try total video converter,it is so coolhttp://discussion.forum.nokia.com/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif