Discussion Board

Unhappy VSS Plug-in supported ?

Hi,

I try to install Eclipse VSS plug-in in Carbide.C++ but the plug-in doesn't appear in plug-in list after Carbide loading.
    Is there any restriction to use it ?
    Perhaps there's bug in install proc (only copy file in plug-in dir) ?

Thank you for your information.

Super Contributor

Re: VSS Plug-in supported ?

We have not tested Carbide with any 3rd party plugins so we have no detailed information on how plugins work togehter with Carbide (one of the reasons for providing a separate installation).

Basically there is no restriction on using other plugins, but in order to keep the download/install small, we do not include all of Eclipse. Some parts that are specific to eg PDE or Java development etc have been excluded. So it might be that VSS depends on some of those parts that we have excluded form the package and therefore does not work.

Hi,
    I would add this information with the plug-in:

VSS Plugin version 1.6.1 for Eclipse 3.1 Prerequisites
    Eclipse release 3.1 SDK RCx, it should also work with the upcoming 3.1 SDK relase, for Windows 98/ME/2000/XP. Please note that is requires the full SDK-version.

I'm not sure to understand what are the differences between 3.1 SDK RCx & 3.1 SDK full version.
    What is the contain of Carbide ?
    Is it compatible ?

Thanks.

Super Contributor

3.1 RCx means one of the release candidates for 3.1.0, ie one of the development version that existed before the "official" Eclipse 3.1. Express contains Eclipse 3.1.1 (so not any of the now obsolete RC's). In theory at least, 3.1.1 should be compatible with the earlier versions (give or take a number of errors that have been fixed). So this should not be an issue for using VSS unless VSS relied on some bug functioning the way it did, not very likely.

What the most likely issue is, is that (out of the 3.1.1) we have removed a number of components that are not mandatory for Carbide. If VSS is dependent on some of these component, then there would be a problem. But as I said, this is only speculation.

I know that this thread is quite old but I have finally found the solution and maybe this will help someone.

How to use Carbide.c++ 1.2 with Eclipse VSS plug-in?

1) Install Carbide 1.2 (tesetd with express version)
    2) Download Eclipse 3.1.1 SDK
    3) Enter the plugin directory in eclipse and copy all files and subdirectories with name org.eclipse.jdt.* to the plugin directory in Carbide.c++.
    4) Download the vss plug-in version 1.6.1 and copy the org.vssplugin_1.6.1 dir to your plugins subdirectory in Carbide.c++

Voila! It works fine!

Hi Sectoid,

thanks for this information that permits VSS plug-in installation but when I try to share a project (Team function) using VSS wizard I've got an error when I select VSS Directory. Error msg : "Failed to create Ole Client. result = -2147221164"

Any ideas ?

mark and study