Discussion Board

When Nokia devices for J2ME/Personal Profile 1.1?, please Nokia answer!!

Hi,
    I understand you can't tell me exactly when Nokia will support J2ME/Personal Profile, but just give me hint….during Q22006 or whatever…timeframe for when emulator will come and real devices
    I really would appreciate little information about that.
    Best Regards,
    Ove

Nokia Developer Expert

Re: When Nokia devices for J2ME/Personal Profile 1.1?, please Nokia answer!!

Hi,

Currently the Series 80 devices do support Personal Profile, while all the others stick to CLDC and MIDP.

I think the other platforms will continue to evolve to the newer MIDP versions, and those will probably based on CDC, and the UI kit will be quite close to eSWT.

There's a presentation about Next Generation Java in Nokia platforms given in a Tech Days event last year: http://www.forum.nokia.com/info/sw.n..._2005.pdf.html

It contains good information about what is the road Nokia will follow with its Java devices.

Daniel

If you read: http://www.forum.nokia.com/series60#java

>During 2006 the S60 platform will also offer rich UI support matching >native capabilities (eSWT) and J2SE compatible API subset (CDC/FP).

J2SE compatible API subset (CDC/FP) =! J2ME/Personal Profile 1.1 ??
    Just Foundation Profile??
    (I had a look on the slides from the presentation about Next Generation Java in Nokia platforms given in a Tech Days event last year and slide no:7 and Nokia don't talk about J2ME/Personal Profile)

confusing!!

JSR-249 != Personal Profile???
    J2R-249 == Next Generation of J2ME/MIDP based on CDC

****PLEASE NOKIA ANSWER***************************
    Will Nokia support J2R-249 and drop support for J2ME/Personal Profile?
    Is J2ME/Personal Profile a dead point!!!
    ****PLEASE NOKIA ANSWER***************************

Next version (after version 10.2.0.1) of Oracle Lite for symbian OS will also support Java/JDBC, I thought it was for J2ME/Personal Profile??

But perhaps it is for J2R-249, Next Generation of J2ME/MIDP based on CDC ???
    Last edited by ovjo12; 2006-03-02 at 15:02.

Nokia Developer Expert

Hi,

You might also check this thread: http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...0&page=2&pp=15

The first post by Nokia_Ron has some useful information.

The Personal Profile is essentially a graphics package, a subset of AWT. It is a superset of Basis Profile, which is a graphics packaged based on the Xlet model. Basis Profile is a superset of the Foundation Profile, which supports the basic core classes, but no graphics package.

As I understand, Nokia will support Foundation Profile 1.1, but the graphics toolkit is *not* gonna be Personal + Basis Profile, that is, it won't be based in AWT, but in eSWT instead.

I don't know the Oracle products well, but as far as I know the Oracle Lite is only targeted to the 9500/9300 handsets, which already support Personal Profile environment as a whole (PP + Basis + Foundation + CDC).

I would say, as a personal opinion (not necessarily the company's), that Personal and Basis Profiles won't be used anymore. Instead we're gonna have eSWT over Foundation Profile 1.1, that is, you get a (much) better windowing toolkit, but also get a very complete subset of J2SE 1.4.2, which is exactly what what FP 1.1 is.

I hope it's clear now :)

Daniel