Discussion Board

"Certificate was issued by..."

I develop a simple application witch send and recieve data via HTTPS connection. I add my key with mekeytool.jar and on SUN emulators aplication work perfectly. But on any Nokia: "Certificate was issued by an unrecognized entity" :-( How to add certificate to midlet on application develops with Nokia Developer/Carbide.j ??

Sorry for poor english :-(

Nokia Developer Champion
    Self-signed certificate or a paid (public) one? If this is a commecial application you should go for a paid SSL certificate which root authority is saved on your target Nokia devices. Which Nokia Series are you trageting: Nokia Series 40 1st, 2nd, 3rd or Nokia Series 60 1st, 2nd or 3rd Edition?

If you want to continue to use a self-signed certificate, answer the questions above and state if you need it in the SDK or on a real phone, too.

Re: "Certificate was issued by..."

Quote Originally Posted by traud
    Self-signed certificate or a paid (public) one? If this is a commecial application you should go for a paid SSL certificate which root authority is saved on your target Nokia devices. Which Nokia Series are you trageting: Nokia Series 40 1st, 2nd, 3rd or Nokia Series 60 1st, 2nd or 3rd Edition?

If you want to continue to use a self-signed certificate, answer the questions above and state if you need it in the SDK or on a real phone, too.
    I would like to use self-signed certificate. I`m targeting so many nokia phones if it`s imposible. If aplication will work good I will buy a certificate, but I must check it on self-singed. I need it only on real phone - on emulator I can check everything without SSL.

Nokia Developer Champion
    There is no one-solution-fits-all. I highly recommend to go for a paid certificate if other users than you will use it. SSL certificates are not that expensive.

If you have a search in in this forum you will find the ways how to do it. You have to install a root certificate on each mobile phone. Most need to catch this via the internal Internet/WAP/Services browser. Most do not support the standard X.509 certificates (DER format; MIME Media Type: application/x-x509-ca-cert) and the other need WPKI roots (MIME Media Type: application/vnd.wap.hashed-certificate; X.509 > WPKI converstion tool required). This WPKI roots do not very user friendly, because every user has to type 30 digits (the hash key) after acceptance. To make it even more complicated these 30 digits must come from a different media like a piece of paper or a computer because you do not see anything except the input screen for these digits.