Discussion Board

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Can't access series 40 General number via JSR75

I am having a problem reading the General number of a contact via JSR75 on series 40 devices. I have tried 6101, 6102, and 8801 so far.

The Series 40 General number problem extends beyond trying to read the field from the JSR75 interface, though I am reading it with the correct field, Contact.TEL. It seems the values associated with General numbers will never be read via JSR75 unless it is first written through the JSR75 interface. If the contact is written through the JSR75 interface using TEL/ATTR_NONE then it is visible in the phonebook by the user as a General number, and it can be read back again by the JSR75 interface.

It's not that it just can't be read, it doesn't exist as far as the JSR75 interface knows. Calling contact.countValues(Contact.TEL) will return a count that doesn't include any general numbers so if there is a Cell and a General you will get a return of 1, instead of 2. It's not like there are gaps in the list either. Iterating from 0 to the value count and getting each value will return all of the values in the list that aren't General. If the list looks like General, Cell, General, Home, General, then when read in JSR75 Cell will be in the 0 position and Home will be in the 1 position.

From this behavior it seems that the Series 40 implementation of JSR75 has a mapping table that points to the native contact list and if the number is General it isn't inserted into the table when the user enters it. If the entry comes from the JSR75 side though the entry is created and can then be read back.

In addition we have tried reading from every value of every field we could in case something wasn't being reported. And we have tried reading and removing the entire record contents and writing it back from the JSR75 side, but that didn't force the General number to show up either.

Any advice or help would be appreciated.

Re: Can't access series 40 General number via JSR75

Hi mottsc,

I know it seems obvious, but did you commit the changes? Take a look at PIMItem.commit() Javadoc description.

Also, see:
    Forum Nokia - Introduction To The PIM API (With Example) v1.1
    http://www.forum.nokia.com/info/sw.n..._v1_1.zip.html

Hope this helps!

Hi juarezjunior,

Yes, when the record is committed after a write, that is not the problem. The problem happens on a read. If I take a new series 40 phone and enter a name and number (General by default), install an application to read all the names and numbers on a phone and print them to the screen, the General number will not appear. It is not readable by JSR75.

If I write and commit the same number via JSR75 instead of the phone's contacts app, then I am able to read the number.

The EventSharing app listed in the documentation you link to shows this problem perfectly, except it has a check to make sure it doesn't print contacts without numbers, so in my example above it will print nothing.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by juarezjunior
    Hi mottsc,

I know it seems obvious, but did you commit the changes? Take a look at PIMItem.commit() Javadoc description.

Also, see:
    Forum Nokia - Introduction To The PIM API (With Example) v1.1
    http://www.forum.nokia.com/info/sw.n..._v1_1.zip.html

Hope this helps!

Hi mottsc,

Ok, I'm sure i got it wrong, now I understand the problem. No idea of what's going on, though. Let's see if any Nokia Expert is going to help you. I'm interested too.

BR

The answer is that it's a problem and it's fixed in Series 40 3rd Edition

Quote Originally Posted by mottsc
    The Series 40 General number problem extends beyond trying to read the field from the JSR75 interface, though I am reading it with the correct field, Contact.TEL. It seems the values associated with General numbers will never be read via JSR75 unless it is first written through the JSR75 interface. If the contact is written through the JSR75 interface using TEL/ATTR_NONE then it is visible in the phonebook by the user as a General number, and it can be read back again by the JSR75 interface.

It's not that it just can't be read, it doesn't exist as far as the JSR75 interface knows. Calling contact.countValues(Contact.TEL) will return a count that doesn't include any general numbers so if there is a Cell and a General you will get a return of 1, instead of 2. It's not like there are gaps in the list either. Iterating from 0 to the value count and getting each value will return all of the values in the list that aren't General. If the list looks like General, Cell, General, Home, General, then when read in JSR75 Cell will be in the 0 position and Home will be in the 1 position.

Quote Originally Posted by mottsc
    The answer is that it's a problem and it's fixed in Series 40 3rd Edition
    Hi,

I still have the same problem on Series 40 3rd Edition (Both on emulator 6270, 6136 and on mobile 6151).

Any idea or advice?

Thanks

Super Contributor

hi,

hm, nokia docs really state that issue being fixed:
    http://forum.nokia.com/Technical_Lib...API_JSR-75.htm

regards,
    peter

Nokia Developer Expert

I will forward this to the documentation team to hear what they have to say.

Daniel

Nokia Developer Expert

Hi all,

It is confirmed that this has *not* been fixed in 3rd. edition devices. The documentation will be updated as soon as possible, and the error will be re-sent to the platform team so they can finally fix it.

Daniel

Hi, I am doing an application to read phonebook. So I wanna know has this problem already fixed now?

Hi All,
    Is this issue resolved now? We are also developing an application where contacts added from the call logs are not getting shown using the PIM API? Is this issue related to
    KIJ000323 and is it fixed in S40 phones now?
    Thanks
    Sandeep

Nokia Developer Champion

What do you mean by fixing?
    The older (3rd Edition) phones will not be fixed. To my understanding the newer phones (including 5th Edition phones) work correctly (I have not tested myself, though)

Hartti

I can confirm this issue still can be reproduced on the following platforms:
    1. S40 3rd Edition
    2. S40 5th Edition
    3. S40 6th Edition

Description:
    General number added to contact using native phonebook can not be read using PIM API.

Details:
    PIM does not even enumerate this field if it was created using native phonebook application.
    General number created using PIM API will be commited successfully and will be read/modified by PIM API and native phonebook applicaiton in the future.

Dear Nokia developers,

Will it be fixed in the near future?

Thanks,
    Gennadi Kudrjavtsev

Issue was reported to Nokia Technical Support.

Thanks.