Discussion Board

execute exe on emulator s60 3rd

Hi all,
    anyone knows how to run (and debug) an exe (without GUI) application on the emulator for Symbian S60 3rd ed.?

On S60 2nd ed. it was easy: you just built it for the emulator, then launched the emulator with the Run button and the exe got launched from the framework. Now in S60 3rd ed. this procedure doesn't work anymore.

I also tried to install an RSC file for automatic startup in \private\101f875\import\ and set the output file for my exe in the \sys\bin\ directory, but this doesn't work either.

Super Contributor

Re: execute exe on emulator s60 3rd

If it's just a console application, you need to put the emulator into text shell mode. Go to the epoc.ini file in <SDK INSTALL DIR>\epoc32\data and add the line "textshell" - all one word - to it.

When you run your exe (say, by clicking on it in explorer) the emulator will now run a console rather than full application UI shell. You can check this by clicking on epoc.exe - which should boot into eshell.

If your application still doesn't work, you can debug it in the IDE or check epocwnd.out (in your win32 temporary directory) for clues.

Thank you for your answer...
    actually my application wasn't a console application, but a plain exe application, derived from an old S60 2nd ed. "targettype exe" application.

I solved the problem, anyway. It was extremely easy but I couldn't find any documentation about it: when it comes to exe applications you have to go in your visual studio .NET's Project|Properties|Debugging|Command field and change it from epoc.exe to yourappname.exe

That's all, folks!

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by stichbury
    If it's just a console application, you need to put the emulator into text shell mode. Go to the epoc.ini file in <SDK INSTALL DIR>\epoc32\data and add the line "textshell" - all one word - to it.

When you run your exe (say, by clicking on it in explorer) the emulator will now run a console rather than full application UI shell. You can check this by clicking on epoc.exe - which should boot into eshell.

If your application still doesn't work, you can debug it in the IDE or check epocwnd.out (in your win32 temporary directory) for clues.
    Thanks stichbury for your words.

I wonder how you find it out. Is there any doc about it?!