Discussion Board

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Linking with a DLL using estlib.lib (a.k.a. stdlib or libc) causes a kernel fault

Hi,

[Edit: I'm using S60 v3 final SDK] If I have an executable that uses a DLL that links with estlib.lib, trying to start the executable causes a kernel fault:
    37.595 FAULT: nkern.cpp 00000025

This happens at DLL loading phase, before any of my code even gets executed, more details below. Is there something that I should do to disable DLL startup code? The help mentions a "STDLIB" build target in passing but doesn't describe if/when/how it should be used. I can't find anything in release notes or FAQ either.

The easiest way to reproduce this is to add a DLL using estlib.lib to helloworldbasic or another simple test application. You can find a pre-modified helloworldbasic example at:
    http://www.s2.org/~pekangas/hellowor...stdlib_dll.zip

I've included the stack trace for the crash below. It suggests that the DLL startup code accidentally uses some Symbian LIBC functions instead of Carbide runtime methods, which causes a conflict maybe because it causes a trip back to the kernel? The three calls from inside my DLL are all from the runtime library:

31 0x1E81FB58( puttyengine.dll )() => sysenv.win32.c.obj(___msl_putenv) + 0xd8
    30 0x1E81F963( puttyengine.dll )() => sysenv.win32.c.obj(_init_environ) + 0x53
    29 0x1E81F9F1( puttyengine.dll )() => sysenv.win32.c.obj(__SetupEnv) + 0x11
    28 0x1E81E2E2( puttyengine.dll )() => mwcrtdllmain.c.obj(__DllMainCRTStartup@12) + 0x72

Full stack trace:

43 0x86BA12( ekern.exe )()
    42 0x86BB61( ekern.exe )()
    41 0x89D794( ekern.exe )()
    40 0x89D709( ekern.exe )()
    39 0x861076( ekern.exe )()
    38 0x8613AC( ekern.exe )()
    37 0x8641EA( ekern.exe )()
    36 0x6002183D( euser.dll )()
    35 0x6004DFF2( euser.dll )()
    34 0x6004DE8E( euser.dll )()
    33 0x60016188( euser.dll )()
    32 0x4351EB42( ESTLIB.DLL )()
    31 0x1E81FB58( puttyengine.dll )()
    30 0x1E81F963( puttyengine.dll )()
    29 0x1E81F9F1( puttyengine.dll )()
    28 0x1E81E2E2( puttyengine.dll )()
    27 0x7C9011A7( ntdll.dll )()
    26 0x7C91CBAB( ntdll.dll )()
    25 0x7C916178( ntdll.dll )()
    24 0x7C9162DA( ntdll.dll )()
    23 0x7C801BB9( KERNEL32.dll )()
    22 0x7C80ACE4( KERNEL32.dll )()
    21 0x6A0024A7( emulator.dll )()
    20 0x871A51( ekern.exe )()
    19 0x887084( ekern.exe )()
    18 0x8A0E86( ekern.exe )()
    17 0x88A7F7( ekern.exe )()
    16 0x88A6BD( ekern.exe )()
    15 0x8642B5( ekern.exe )()
    14 0x86422B( ekern.exe )()
    13 0x62047EAD( efile.exe )()
    12 0x620186B0( efile.exe )()
    11 0x62017AFC( efile.exe )()
    10 0x60011576( euser.dll )()
    9 0x600028AF( euser.dll )()
    8 0x6000269A( euser.dll )()
    7 0x600024FA( euser.dll )()
    6 0x600023BB( euser.dll )()
    5 0x620152FC( efile.exe )()
    4 0x62049018( efile.exe )()
    3 0x86A6A2( ekern.exe )()
    2 0x868AD1( ekern.exe )()
    1 0x7C80B50B( KERNEL32.dll )()

Any workarounds or fix possibilities? This essentially makes Carbide useless for developing software ported from other systems.

Thanks,

Petteri
    Last edited by pekangas; 2006-03-03 at 17:41.

Nokia Developer Expert

Re: Linking with a DLL using estlib.lib (a.k.a. stdlib or libc) causes a kernel fault

Thank you for this very detailed report. I'll work on reproducing this here and will let you know what I come up with.

Regards,

Matt P.

Nokia Developer Expert

Re: Linking with a DLL using estlib.lib (a.k.a. stdlib or libc) causes a kernel fault

One quick question: does this same behavior happen with CodeWarrior, or is this new with Carbide?

Matt P.

Hi,

This doesn't happen with CodeWarrior, at least with version 3.1. When building form the command line I do get warnings that point to a conflict between the runtime library and estlib though:

mwldsym2.exe: warning: Multiply defined section: _longjmp in
    mwldsym2.exe: warning: files setjmp.x86.c.obj (MSL_ALL_MSE_Symbian_D.lib), ESTLIB.dll (estlib.lib),
    mwldsym2.exe: warning: keeping definition in ESTLIB.dll

And similar warnings for malloc() and other libc functions.

The application still works though, so I guess either the DLL startup code doesn't get run or it for some reason doesn't cause problems with CW.

Petteri

Nokia Developer Expert

Quick update: I am able to reproduce this problem with Carbide and I'm speaking to the linker engineer about it, but I don't have any info on whether there is a workaround yet.

Matt P.

I have a similar problem, resulting an unandled exception in the emulator, but with a different compilation warning. The test evironement is a DLL (polymorphic) loaded by an exe program.
    The DLL links to ESTLIB.LIB but doesn't link to EDLL.LIB, but the message show a reference to EDLL.LIB...

All the DLL that I use link agaisnt ESTLIB.DLL but only a couple of them produce the warning and using it the emulator crash...

Probably it depends by some particular stdlib functions used by the code.

mwldsym2.exe: warning: Multiply defined symbol: void * operator new(unsigned int) (??2@YAPAXI@Z) in
    mwldsym2.exe: warning: files New.cpp.obj (MSL_All_MSE_Symbian_D.lib), uc_dll.obj (EDLL.LIB),
    mwldsym2.exe: warning: keeping definition in uc_dll.obj
    mwldsym2.exe: warning: Multiply defined symbol: void operator delete(void *) (??3@YAXPAX@Z) in
    mwldsym2.exe: warning: files New.cpp.obj (MSL_All_MSE_Symbian_D.lib), uc_dll.obj (EDLL.LIB),
    mwldsym2.exe: warning: keeping definition in uc_dll.obj

I am having similar problems, and am getting a Kernel Panic only if I build using Carbide.vs 2.0.1, no panics if I build it from Command Prompt.

Any updates or workarounds?

Regular Contributor

I'm having the problem too. How do I set things up to build from the command line? If I try I simply get "ERROR: Unable to identify a valid CodeWarrior for Symbian OS installation"

Thanks

Super Contributor

Content moved to correct thread.
    Last edited by mitts; 2006-04-05 at 08:52.

Regular Contributor

I think you have posted to the wrong thread! This thread is about linking against the Symbian C library, the other thread is about ECOM plugins

Regular Contributor

Seems like Carbide already has a stdlib built-in, adding another one causes problems. Presumably you can just remove estlib for winscw builds and leave it in for arm builds?

Regular Contributor

Hi,

I am having the same problem here.

But when I remove the estlib.lib from the mmp file, I cannot compile/link anymore due to undefined symbols.

What should I do?

Regards
    Max

Super Contributor

From your comment it is not obvious which Carbide you refer to. For Carbide.vs, this has been tested to work for the 3.0 dll.

You need to add one system include path and only link against euser.

You have set up your project correctly if after the .mmp update in Carbide.vs you have in the dll .mmp file something like (but remember changes are done in the project properties, see Help):

Code:
    SYSTEMINCLUDE                 \Epoc32\include\libc
    LIBRARY                             euser.lib
    This is a minimalistic .h/.c source sample - with "<" and ">" missing due to how the board seems to work

Code:
    #ifndef __CTEST_H__
    #define __CTEST_H__

#include e32def.h
    #include stdlib.h
    #include stdio.h

#ifdef __cplusplus
    extern "C" {
    #endif

IMPORT_C int func();

#ifdef __cplusplus
    }
    #endif

#endif  // __CTEST_H__
    Code:
    #include "ctest.h"

EXPORT_C int func()
    {
    	int i = rand();
    	return 0x1337 + i;
    }

Regular Contributor

Hi,

yes, I am refering to the latest carbide.vs with 3rd edition final sdk.

This is my project file:

TARGET SyExpat.dll
    TARGETTYPE dll
    UID 0x1000008d 0xA00005B4
    macro HAVE_EXPAT_CONFIG_H XML_BUILDING_EXPAT
    USERINCLUDE ..\lib
    USERINCLUDE .
    SOURCEPATH .
    SOURCE SyExpat.cpp
    SOURCE SyGen.cpp

SOURCEPATH ..\Lib
    SOURCE xmlparse.c
    SOURCE xmlrole.c
    SOURCE xmltok.c

SYSTEMINCLUDE \epoc32\include\libc
    SYSTEMINCLUDE \Epoc32\include
    SYSTEMINCLUDE .
    SYSTEMINCLUDE ..\Lib
    LIBRARY euser.lib
    EXPORTUNFROZEN

But then I get unresolved symbols and I cannot compile anymore.
    If I add estlib.lib to the project, I am able to compile, but get the above mentioned error when executing the application.

Regards
    Max

Super Contributor

Unresolved symbols are due to missing include files, those errors will not be solved by adding a lib. Find the missing #include to fix compile time errors.