Discussion Board

Advice needed --> absolute beginner

Hello to all,

although I have Java experience I am an absolute beginner when it comes to mobile development, MIDP etc. I bought a book in mobile phone game development (Michael Morrison) and have downloaded the J2ME Toolkit from Sun to get started. It is clear to me however that I have a long way to go and I want to make sure that I do not head to the wrong direction so I thought of asking for advice:

1. Any reccomentations on an IDE (other than the basic KToolbar) that is good for a beginner? Is Netbeans suitable?

2. What about Nokia's Carbide? Can it be used for general development or is it only used for Nokia specific issues?

3. Is it easy to integrate Nokia specific APIs to these environments? Should I expect many problems in downloading simple MIDlets to my 6600?

I will greatly appreciate any help and advice, not limited to the above questions. Thanks in advance!

Logismon

Re: Advice needed --> absolute beginner

Im also beginner but i say you the little that i know.

I begun with IDE Eclipse, that have an automatic integration with Eclipse.j (Nokia SDK for Java). By now, all works ok without big problems, only problems by dont know handle the tool adequately.

Can you read post in the forum, of problems with instalation of Eclipse + Cardibe.j, i had little problems that now solved .

About question of general development -I hope that no in a error-, but in begin if you dont use any function or class of Nokia API the app must work on all of devices (if only use API of MIDP). Next phones must support the especific MIDP version (1.0 or 2.0).

By the moment, Eclipse and Cardibe.j for my are perfect. Easy debug, lovely interface, easy build of MIDlets. Build jar -> Phone -> Install and go!

For finally, I do a question in this post that can be useful. Me use Nokia SDK for can use Full Screen on MIDP 1.0 -FullCanvas-. ¿Whats happened with full screen in other devides that are MIDP 1.0 but not Nokia?. ¿How can use fullscreen?.

I hope this help you.

Sorry for my English.

Re: Advice needed --> absolute beginner

Quote Originally Posted by logismon
    Hello to all,

although I have Java experience I am an absolute beginner when it comes to mobile development, MIDP etc. I bought a book in mobile phone game development (Michael Morrison) and have downloaded the J2ME Toolkit from Sun to get started. It is clear to me however that I have a long way to go and I want to make sure that I do not head to the wrong direction so I thought of asking for advice:

1. Any reccomentations on an IDE (other than the basic KToolbar) that is good for a beginner? Is Netbeans suitable?

2. What about Nokia's Carbide? Can it be used for general development or is it only used for Nokia specific issues?

3. Is it easy to integrate Nokia specific APIs to these environments? Should I expect many problems in downloading simple MIDlets to my 6600?

I will greatly appreciate any help and advice, not limited to the above questions. Thanks in advance!

Logismon
    I'm just starting. I chose Netbeans over Eclipse because there seemed to be people talking better of it; also, the first person who replied to my question about them here liked it - that was enough for me. There are good tutorials on the NetBeans site, such as a `my first midlet` sort of thing using the IDE, going from creating the program (actually modifying an existing one) to running it in an emulator.

NetBeans is quite a nice IDE, actually. Sort of like VB. Also, there seems to be an active community here:

http://www.nabble.com/Netbeans.org-f2602.html

that look like they'd be able to help if you had any questions about it.

I've ignored carbide. I did get the Nokia SDKs and even I could get it working with the netbeans IDE, although it seemed much, much slower than the standard Sun wireless emulator to get from `run this` to actually using the emulated phone. But perhaps this is because my laptop is slightly below minimum spec (You're supposed to have 385megs of ram, and I only have 256).

I think the idea is that you emulate your code until it's more or less finished, although I have to say that it's probably easier to use the keyboard on a real phone compared to the emulated one.