Discussion Board

Both GPS ans BT device connected to the same master phone

Hi everyone,

I would like to connect GPS and another BT device (in slave mode also) to the same Nokia 6600 using Python for Nokia.
    I was successfull in connecting each one separetely, but i can't understand how to connect both of them. Normally, using BT socket, i should be able to do so (GPS and BT device in slave mode and my phone is in master mode).

Does enyone has got some ideas or code to do so ?
    Declaring a second socket tells me "Maximum connections reached"...

Thanks a lot,

Valentin

Re: Both GPS ans BT device connected to the same master phone

To be more precise :

If a bluetooth connection is active (my first device has been detected and connected) when socket.bt_discover() is called, then a note that says "Unable to connect. Max. number of Bluetooth connections already in use." is generated.

Valentin

Regular Contributor

I believe this is a limitation in the Bluetooth stack on older devices such as the 6600. If I have a BT headset connected to my 6600 or 7610 I cannot connect to a GPS receiver, but I can on the N70.

this is a limitation which only apply when there is a handsfree connection otherwise you can have multiple connections with the Nokia 6600 and 7610. Up to 3 simultaneous connections should be ok, over that number the connections might be unstable/unreliable. There is no scatternet support so all connections must be initiated from the phone and if the remote device request a master / slave switch then all other connections might be lost.
    There was a Java application in Forum Nokia which shows an example of multiple connections and with that application I was able to connect up to 5 phones but 2 connections were droped very quickly (timeout somewhere).

-F

Hi Members!
    I've some unanswered quaestion. I tried to ask local Nokia, but ther was no answere till today.
    I read this conversation and one of my quaestions seams to be answered, but I want the truth:-) :
    The new generation N series, E series Nokias can make more bluetooth connections at the same time generally, can't these?
    Nokia says only about E60 explicitly: "Multiconnectivity: ... Max 6 Bluetooth technology connections in use at the same time. Note: only one for Bluetooth wireless connectivity for audio 5"
    Last edited by szabofe; 2006-03-31 at 14:02.

In a master device up to 5 slave devices can be connected to and working simultaneously (piconnet).
    This can be held mostly to the Bluetooth USB adapters.
    Because the cell phones "use" more unstable bluetooth hardware, usually maximum up to 3 connections are able to held.

Hi maillot,

are you saying that once I have a handsfree connection I cannot have another BT connection?

I am experiencing something similar with the 6680 in which I can connect the handsfree and PC for dial-up networking both at the same time but the data link stalls as soon as I make a voice call.
    Frank