Discussion Board

Question S60 2nd edition FP3 SDK reports error in jar file entry

I've recently decided to start using the S60 Feature Pack 3 emulator, could anyone tell me why it won't run on my jar files, it reports the following error:

Error with temporary jar file: invalid entry compressed size (expected 2930 but got 2927 bytes)
    Error with temporary jar file: invalid entry compressed size (expected 2930 but got 2927 bytes)

After that it starts the emulator window briefly before it exits.

The Jar file involved is definitely intact, in the usual ZIP format produced by WinRAR or 7zip.
    The S60 FP2, older S60 emulator, series 40, sun WTK2.2, sony emulators all run the jar without problem.

Some jars I have do not exhibit the error. In one case I am able to simply alter the contents of a text file in the JAR slightly, to change it from working to failing, and then back again.

Anyone using the FP3 emulator able to help? Thanks.

Super Contributor

Re: S60 2nd edition FP3 SDK reports error in jar file entry

Have you checked your jad-file? Make sure the jar-file size stated in this file is correct (not 2930, but 2927 in your case)

Hartti

Yeah, its not the JAD file line for JAR size that the error is referring to, as the JAR itself is around 13Kb and the JAD holds the correct size for it.

the 'expected 2930..' tells me it which file within the JAR it is actually referring to, which is sometimes a class file but other times could be a resource file.

I'm inclined to think the FP3 emulator is not reading the ZIP file format correctly (or maybe it is stricter than any other tools I've used). However if other people are using the FP3 emulator without any problem then it must be something I can fix.

I haven't yet been able to try using the FP3 emulator on any other system, so if anyone is able to quickly try running a jar could I send you one of those I have that won't work for me?

thanks

Hi iwmonkey

Have you found a solution for this? I am getting exactly the same problem but can't figure out why.

Steve

Hi

I have the same problem. Size of JAR and "MIDlet-Jar-Size" are exactly the same (i checked it).

Solution? Hmmm... I use emulator from SDK for S60 3rd Edition. SDK for S60 2rd Edition is strange (and terrible)...

MDW

I gave up on this one, and try to use the other s60 emulators.

Now my current problem is s60 3rd edition throwing java.io.EOFException on startup... great.

Super Contributor

Sounds odd.... Did the installation go ok?
    What OS, Java version do you have? Have you installed Carbide.j? Have you integrated that with some IDE?

Hartti

Hello out there!

I just wanted to tell you, that i have the exact same problem - I wasn't able to find a solution for this problem till now. I am building my midlet using J2MEPolish and the message of mismatched jar-sizes pops up right before the emulator crashes.

Interestingly, the midlet is ok - I checked that out using the "Open"-function of the emulator-window.

Has somebody found any solution for this?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,

Hendrik Bock

Hi everybody, I have also the same problem with S60 2nd edition FP3 SDK. In my first midlet I have this error:

Error with temporary jar file: invalid entry compressed size (expected 916 but got 919 bytes)

Can anybody help me, what should I do to the error wasnt there???

Thanks a lot

I encounter the same problem recently. The strange thing is my environment works before. All of sudden, the problem surfaced up. I don't remember I had any changes at all.

I did investigation for 3 days. The conclusion is that the Eclipse/ME has some wrong settings.

After a Eclipse/ME build, in the project directory, you can find two sets of class files generated by the compiler, one is under bin, the other under .eclipseme.tmp\verified\classes. If you compare the class files under two different places, they have different sizes.

I don't know why, but if you use commandline to recreate your jar file with classes under .eclipseme.tmp\verified\classes. And copy the result jar file into dir .eclipseme.tmp\emulation and dir deployed (of course you need to make a little change in the jad file there for a different jar size), when you launch the emulator with the new files, you won't have the "expected 2930 but got 2927 bytes" problem anymore.

The midlet can be installed now, but there will be a new problem, it can't be run in the emulator. I am now stuck here.

The same code, if I build it with WTK25 and copy the jad and jar file to my eclipse project, it can be installed and run with the emulator. Something must be wrong with Eclipse build.

I've tried with jdk1.6.0.02 and jdk1.5.0.13, the result is the same.

My settings:
    MicroEdition-Configuration: CLDC-1.1
    MicroEdition-Profile: MIDP-2.0

And I have tried JDK compiler compliance level 1.3 and 1.4, both gave the same result.
    Last edited by haploidus; 2007-11-05 at 18:08.

Hi Guys,

I also have the same problem "invalid entry compressed size",
    when i try to start the emulator.

I use Eclipse 3.3.3, EclipseME 1.6.5, Carbide.J 1.5,
    SDK S60 3rd Ed. FP1, CLDC 1.1, MIDP 2.0 (did i forget any
    relevant version?)

When i start with an empty midlet everything works fine (but unfortunately does nothing), but when I add code to my midlet i
    soon reach the point when this error occurs and it is impossible
    to start the emulator.

While the emulator refuses to work, i can deploy the midlet and
    run it "standalone" in my 6110 navigator. But it's a littlebit
    troublesome to update the midlet everytime in my handy to test little changes (and i assume, the sense of an emulator is to avoid this...)

But, as i saw, lots of folk have this problem with different s60 sdks and unfortunately nokia has no solution.

(maybe, 240 MB for a SDK + 134 MB for Carbide.J to develop
    symbian instead of 40 MB to develop S40 have much more opportunities to crash instead of working...)

A little hint to the sdk or carbide.j developers or whoever maybe responsible for this error message: A line telling which compressed zip file has the wrong size could be helpfull.

Another hint: as long as there is no solution for this problem
    i have a hot candidat for your question "what wastes most time in software development..."

Sorry, nokia developers, you did a great job in enabling fast S40 development, but your S60 stuff is a great disappointment.

Hello,

I've run across this problem, and my solution was to not repackage the jar using WinRAR/7zip/whatever. I just used the jar as it was initially compiled, and that worked fine.

You may be able to continue to use WinRAR/7zip/whatever to repackage jars for loading onto a device, but some devices will still give you problems (like the 6620), displaying things like "Invalid Jar".

Hope that helps some folks!

- Nathan

I create a new MIDlet project in Pulsar.
    Then I copy all files except .project and .classpath in S60\devices\S60_3rd_MIDP_SDK_FP1\S60examples\push dir to my MIDlet project.
    Run the MIDlet, the same errors show.
    But I do these:
    1.Delete ..mtj.tmp, .settings, bin in the project dir.
    2.Rebuild the project.
    Finally, run the MIDlet again, there is no error, and the emulator start successfully.
    Hope these are useful.