Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Some basic questions

Hello there,
    Apparently I'm quite new to mobile development. Before jumping into assumptions, I need some advise from you guys. I have a project idea and I'm trying to see how feasible it really is. To implement it, I need the following.

1) The mobile should be able to make a webservice (running on a server) call over a secure channel.

2) I prefer to do it in java (J2ME).

3) Server-to-mobile connection should be over bluetooth

4) I went thru some documents/sites. I came across a few articles discussing about bluetooth, webservices etc etc. But I did not quite get the whole picture. How does the webservice connection gets over to the PC ? Does TCP/IP comes to picture ? My requirement is : as soon as the mobile gets near the server, it should automatically get connected to the server and should be ready to make webservice calls. Is it possible ? or Is it multi-stage connectivity ?

5) What is the security aspect of the scenario above ? Can I use standard PKI certificate mechanism ?

6) What SDK's should I "buy" ? are there any licensing issues involved ?

7) Are the above things possible ? If yes

8) I need to buy a nokia handset for development. Which model do you recommend ??

thanks for your time
    ~Brown

Super Contributor

Re: Some basic questions

1) HTTPS should work.

2) Shouldn't be a problem.

3) Can be done, too.

4) Bluetooth comms can be over sockets (TCP/IP), OBEX, ... (J2ME might limit your options vs. what you could do in C++ on Symbian OS based devices)

5) Bluetooth comms is fairly secure & if you do HTTPS/SSL over it, it is even more so, I should think.

6) The phone-side SDKs are free downloads from http://forum.nokia.com/ Which one to pick depends on J2ME vs. C++ vs. IDE (Carbide, CodeWarrior, MS, Sun WTK, ...).

7) Pretty well, yes.

8) I'd get a relatively recent S60 device (like the N70, http://forum.nokia.com/n70), and perhaps also one S40 device like the 6270 (http://forum.nokia.com/6270), if you do a J2ME implementation. The real problem is that if you deploy on many different devices, you should test all of them (and for wider compatibility, develop with a bit older devices, like the 6600 and 6230, for example).