Discussion Board

XHTML Mobile and accented characters

Hi, to the following address: http://www.demetrionaccari.it/wap/ I am preparing a draft of mobile wap 2.0 site unfortunately I have a problem of visualization with the accented characters: "à è é ù ò ì" etcetera.

I have tried to specify the encoding of the characters this way:

<? xml version = "1.0" encoding = "iso-8859-1"?>

but unfortunately nothing to be done, does someone of you know how to tell me as a problem of the kind he resolves?

Super Contributor

Re: XHTML Mobile and accented characters

Which phone(s)? Tried UTF-8 (Unicode) encoding?

With the simulators there are no particular problems but with my Nokia 6630 the characters are completely replaced, also specifying the encoding on the browser of the telephone. For instance the character à is replaced with Ã. and " with an empty square.

With the encoding UTF-8 unfortunately the visualization worsens. I am thinking about resolving the problem using some functions of PHP to replace the accented characters, the accents and the apostrophes with their equivalent code XHTML. For istance replacing the character of the quotation marks with &quot;
    Last edited by -Francesco; 2006-03-08 at 10:41.

At the end I have resolved the problem with some PHP code:

<?php function entities ( $string ){return str_replace (
    array ( '' , '', "&", "’", ",", "à", "á", "è", "é", "ù", "ú", "ò", "ó", "ì", "ì", "Á", "À", "È", "Í", "Ì", "Ú", "Ù", "Ó", "Ò", "“", "”", "«", "»" ),
    array ( '' , '"', "&" , "'" , "&cedil;", "a'", "a'", "e'", "e'", "u'", "u'", "o'", "o'", "i'", "i'", "A'", "A'", "E'", "I'", "I'", "U'", "U'", "O'", "O'", '"', '"', "&laquo;", "&raquo;" ), $string );}

$row_article_list['titolo'] = entities($row_article_list['titolo']);
    $row_article_list['sottotitolo'] = entities($row_article_list['sottotitolo']);
    $row_article_list['testo'] = entities($row_article_list['testo']); ?>

with this solution the encoding is probably superfluous, but as we tell Italy: "A mali estremi, estremi rimedi".