Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Exclamation NOKIA 6681 & 6630 "OFFLINE" PROBLEM

Hi,

I have this nokia 6630 & 6681 phones that was bought for me from the UK.
    The problem is, when i switch on the phone and insert my sim card, and the phone is about starting up.after it shows the "NOKIA" booting screen, instead of it to show the normal nokia trademark image of two hands joining to hold each other, it tells me my sim card is invalid.
    Now, if i remove the sim card and boot the phone again, it goes on to the main screen but indicated "Offline" in the network bar.
    I thought it was a profile setting thing, but when i tried changing the profile, it alerted me to insert a sim card.

guys am confused and i need help.

what do you people suggest?

Regular Contributor

Re: NOKIA 6681 & 6630 "OFFLINE" PROBLEM

It's N6630 feature. See the Guide Book (came with the box). If I'm not mistaken, we can use phone without SIM only with offline profile.
    About ur 'SIM Invalid', try to put ur SIM on another phone or put another SIM into ur phone and which one has error. If ur SIM error, then u should contact ur network provider. If ur phone error, try to boot phone without MMC inserted, safe mode, hard/soft format/ corrupted MMC. Use search...
    Ruli Rahmadi

Forum Nokia

Super Contributor

The phones might also be SIM-locked/restricted (i.e., they only accept/work with SIM cards from the particular UK operator/carrier that the phones were bough from).

Regular Contributor

Thanks ruli,
    I have tried putting the sim into another phone and it works well.
    it works well with "offline" mode but doesn't connect to the main network, so i can't make calls.
    The thing is, the phone doesn't recognise sim cards.
    I wonder what the problem is?
    anyone with ideas on what to do?

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by petrib
    The phones might also be SIM-locked/restricted (i.e., they only accept/work with SIM cards from the particular UK operator/carrier that the phones were bough from).
    yeah petrib i think u're right man.
    And the funny thing is that, i called my cousin that bought it for me and he said he bought it in a "used phone" shop and he wasn't told which network it was for.

But i believe there should be a way to unlock the sim isn't there?...like overriding it with a default sim pin? or something.

isn't there?

Super Contributor

The operator who locked the phone(s) can issue the unlocking codes for the phones.

The tricky part is, if you don't know, how to find out which operator the phones are locked to.

Depending on when/how the phones were bought (what kind of contract) originally, the operator may also charge you for giving out the unlocking code(s). I.e., you must pay.

i had the same problem, only i knew for a fact that my phone is compatible with my sim card.. so after panicking a lotand checking all the menu folders, i went to settings - profiles and i change my profile from offline to general.
    the important question is: who messed up my phone in the first place???

Regular Contributor

Hi inawhatever,
    Welcome here on Forum Nokia,
    Actually its a problem lots of guys are facing. While googling i cam across this site http://gsmhosting.com/vbb/archive/in.../t-227696.html and last post confirmed everything.
    IDEAS is all they need but still they think only Genius can give them that.

Exclamation Re: NOKIA 6681 & 6630 "OFFLINE" PROBLEM

Hello,
    I have nokia 6630 mobile phone, from last 2 week i am unable to start my handset on General mode its goes on "OFFLINE Mode" this happening for all SIM cards and for all service provider.
    But i can use only one particular SIM card its works normal, i am not able to access my own SIM card...!!! I have re-store original setting twice and formatted once still it is not resolved, So please suggest is their any setting to do in handset or it is some major problem- Amol
    Last edited by amol_nimje; 2008-10-25 at 20:46.

Nokia Developer Moderator

In fact this question is better suited for end-user discussion forums, like http://discussions.europe.nokia.com
    You may try the *-green-3 format, as described in http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph..._an_S60_device, or try a firmware update (as I remember the 6630 supports it), but if these steps do not help, probably your best option is to visit a Nokia Care Point and show them your device.